best replacement submersible sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

ajohn1

Reaction score
Hi, We would like to replace our existing sump pump which is a vertical switch, we just feel it is time. Our sump pump runs most of the year (11 months usually) and when it is running pumps out at least every 30 seconds 24/7. We would like to fit a swing arm sump pump and are thinking of a 1/2 hp. Not sure of the make and power of the existing. We feel that a swing arm would allow the pit to fill more and therefore pump more each time,rather than have it come on and off every 30 seconds as it currently does, which is very power costly. The fact that our pit fills so fast and pumps so frequently means we have to choose the right pump that won't overheat and is very reliable. Could you recommend a make of pump please that will be reliable and can cope with the constant on/off demand. Even a swing arm will have a heavy frequency demand, as the water flows in like a river. Are you familiar with the Bur-cam brand of sump pump? we are looking at cast iron as it will likely stand up better as we have the water softener system flushing in to the pit too when it regenerates, which I understand can be corrosive. If a vertical switch is more reliable, then we are willing to replace with the same.

thank you

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Zoeller M-53 has always been good to me.

I speak from having at least 140 out there in the past 5 years and no callbacks.

That doesn't mean I won't have them.......it's just that I corrected problems when I installed them like drilling a

3/16" hole to prevent air lock, raised the pump to pull from a larger reservoir of water that covers a better table,

strapped the pump discharge secure to prevent movement that loosens connections up.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best way to reduce the frequency of pumping is to increase the diameter of the sump. Doubling the diameter will make the interval 4 times as long.

You can also increase the interval if you make the sump deeper, IF AND ONLY IF the lower level doesn't cause a greater rate of water flow into the sump. If your pump is trying to pump down the level of a large aquifer, then making it deeper will probably result in more water and greater pumping cost.

Increase the area and operate the level as high as you safely can to prevent flooding. If failure of the pump would cause economic damage, then you may want to set up an alternating duplex pump and control system with an alarm. If power outages are a problem you may want to get a backup generator. Battery powered backup systems will work but you need a lot of batteries if you have a lot of water to pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks