Has anyone seen a drain configuration like this ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Nolan

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone seen a drain configuration like this ? I have a PVC toilet flange that goes into a 90 degree PVC elbow. The strange thing is, I then have a 1.5 inch PVC bathtub/shower drain pipe connecting directly into the 90 degree elbow (for the toilet) via a female fitting in the side of the 90 degree elbow.

My concern is whether this is "up to code" or should I remove this setup in favor of another configuration. Our house is approx 17 years old. It's worked for the last 17 years, so I probably shouldn't worry, but a failed wax ring forced me to rip the subfloor off and while I'm at it I might as well do the job correctly. (the bathtub has it's own trap underneath the bathtub drain so rising gas isn't a concern... just toilet solids potentially clogging this Toilet/bathtub elbow connection.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
This used to be code in my area 30 years ago but the problem with that configuration is when the toilet flushes, it has the capability to suck the trap dry on the lavatory or tub drain.

In my state of KY, every drain must have a vent and the drain must be vented before it connects to another branch which that receives waste water.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like it is stack vented and this was a very common way of doing things. If it has worked in the past you can keep it this was.

Jeff Nolan

Reaction score
Thanks Livin4real,

Unfortunately it's not the vent but the drain for the bathtub. I've filled the tub up with water pulled the drain and watched the water flow out of the 1 1/2" and into the 90 elbow.

Jeff Nolan

Reaction score
Thanks Rugged,

I'm here in Illinois and evidently this was code 17 years ago. I checked again and there's a Y connection about 2 feet down the line from this strange elbow setup that leads to the vent.

Would you reconfigure this or leave it the way it is ?

Thanks again for your help !

Jeff

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If you got open access to this....I would change it. That way it is a memory and you don't have that worry to contend to down the road.

Sometimes when you flush the toilet....the waste from the toilet and can get into this branch..and the sink can slow up/clog as a result. I've unclogged a few in this way being extremely careful knowing a lot of these in the older neighborhoods were all lead.

Jeff Nolan

Reaction score
Thanks Rugged,

It looks like my only option would be to have a stand alone 90 degree elbow going to the toilet ...then about one foot downstream a "Y" connection that goes to the bathtub... then about one foot further downstream from that would be the existing "Y" that goes to the vent. Do you think that would remedy the problem ?

Jeff

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

A side, or heel, inlet elbow was NEVER allowed in the Chicago area, for either a drain or vent, but might have been okay in the rest of the state.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks