Hi. Our guest bathroom toilet, tub, and sink are draining very slowly. A plumber gave us a free etimate to fix the problem. (I don't believe in "free".) The plumber said the old toilet was clogged with lime deposits. To fix the draining problem, he wants to sell us a Toto Drake CST744SL toilet plus install for $651.44 (not incl tax) and he'd rout the tub drain for free.
I'm not sure if this will fix the draining problem. I think the drain line may be plugged and needs to be cleaned out. A new toilet won't fix that.
We live in Bellevue, WA and the house is about 25 years old. With this in mind:
Replacing the toilet...
- Is it likely that lime deposits would cause this?
- How can I check to see if the drain is clogged?
- If the drain is the problem, how difficult is it to clean? Hire a pro?
- I can access the drain cleanout. Should we try cleaning through there?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
- Is an Toto Drake ADA too tall for kids to use? (We have grandkids.)
- I'm handy with tools and remodeling. How difficult to replace the toilet myself? (Yes I read Jamie's instructions, but he's got experience, weighs 60 lbs more, is 10 inches taller, and I suspect 30 years younger. I'd like to hear from the amateurs on this one.)