Water Hammer and Washing Machine

Users who are viewing this thread

wanderinh

Reaction score
Hello Everybody on this Forum. A few days ago I installed metal braided hose to the hot and cold water faucets of my washing machine. I inadvertently did not open up the cold faucet all the way, and since then, I have done 2 loads of laundry.
I am now experiencing Water Hammer when the washing machine operates. It has not occurred before this ever. What are my options at fixing this. Will running all the faucets and flushing the toilet a few times assist in releasing that air? Will an arrestor work? What are some options before further damage occurrs?
At the same time one of my other bathrooms is currently in the midst of a remodel and no bathroom activity has taken place there in some time.

Any advice or recommendations will be appreciated and considered. Thanks for your time and help.

Sincerely,
A plumbing system in need of some help.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Will running all the faucets and flushing the toilet a few times assist in releasing that air?
If you had air in your water lines you would know. The air would blast out of your faucets as air.
The ploblem is the new hoses you installed. The hoses you tend to find are a bit under sized and your washer machine has a fast closing valve in it. You did not have a problem with the old black hoses because they were all rubber. You have three choices.
1. Put your old hoses back on, or get new older style black rubber hoses.
2. Install hammer suppressors
3. Get better bradded hoses that are full sized and and have rubber in the I have the 3/4" brass craft bradded hoses on my machine and have never had problems and that all I install on houses I work in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
AT least a couple companies sell screw on hammer arrestors especially for the washing machine. they cost about $12 each at the big box stores. No tools required, just remove the hose, install the thing, then reattach the hose. better hoses might also fix it.

wanderinh

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I am going to return to the original rubber hoses I have and when I have time, upgrade to larger metal braided hoses. Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer should have the hammer arrestors anyway.

Old black hoses may not have hammered, because they may have been expanding with the back pressure of the hammer.
Old hoses burst occasionally and cause water damage.

Or, it could be something as simple as opening up the valves all the way.
You may have a loose washer that is fluttering as water goes by.
Does it hammer as it fills, or when the water shuts off.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks