4:45 AM wake up call, The Walls are alive

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
cj3 said:
Also I have been very curious wrt the lack of use of expansion tanks in the plumbing in CA. Every person who I have asked who is in the trades has rarely if every seen or used one, but no one really new why when I explained the need for them when using a PRV.

CJ

For what it's worth, same situation here (Nebraska) - the word just hasn't gotten out here.

One plumber I talked to, when I finally diagnosed my foghorn-imitating, vibrating pipes and leaking WH T&P valve as a thermal expansion problem, recommended getting a higher-pressure WH T&P valve (!).

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a PRV, then you also have the expansion tank.
If the plumber left off the expansion tank, ADD ONE.

When water is heated, it expands.
Without room for expansion, it will force the T&P valve to release water.

You don't want to block off a T&P, or the water heater could explode.
http://www.waterheaterblast.com/

I can watch that link over and over again.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
SteveW said:
One plumber I talked to, when I finally diagnosed my foghorn-imitating, vibrating pipes and leaking WH T&P valve as a thermal expansion problem, recommended getting a higher-pressure WH T&P valve (!).

I hope that he was not a licensed plumber...
That is a dangerous "solution"...
An expansion tank is the right way to go - and a new PRV if the existing one is shot...

cj3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help

Replaced the PRV and problem is solved

Never figured out why the noise started at 4:45 and ended at 5am but it is gone now.

CJ

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, for one thing, if the person that installed the plumbing would of secured the piping better, you probably would not notice the pipes moving that much. As for the knocking, only thing that would solve, would be to put in some kind of pressure relief to stop the hammer effect, and also put rock wool, or some other kind of material between the pipes and where they go through floor to the walls to secure them from somewhat moving.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks