TOTO Eco Drake HET Watersense toilet review and comments. EcoDrake

Users who are viewing this thread

Loke

Reaction score
ecodrake_insidetank.jpg

Just had a chat with my local Toto retailer. Was advised that the EcoDrake and regular Drake are the same toilet but that there is a small difference relating to the flapper. The retailer is only bringing in the EcoDrake models now, but says that if one is unhappy with the flush that a simple manipulation of some sort with the flapper will convert the toilet into the regular 1.6gpf model. I made my enquiry by phone so have not been able to see what he was talking about. Is he correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to worry about it. Both the regular Drake and the Eco-Drake MaP tested the same at 900 grams per flush.

Loke

Reaction score
I had checked out the MaP link in post #18 on this thread and noted that the regular height EcoDrake EL rated as 600, while the ADA height EL was 900 (same as the regular height Drake EL). But 600 is still considered very good, I gather, so perhaps I shouldn't worry so much. The other toilet in which I am interested, the Ultramax ADA fares less well in the Eco version, listing at only 450, though I have seen a rating of 500 on a link from a Canadian site. The non-Eco Ultramax is 700, as I recall, so the reduction in MaP score seems somewhat proportional to that of the decrease from the regular Drake to the EcoDrake.

Still do wonder just what the fellow is meaning about being able to make a change. From the picture that was inserted into my message (thanks, Terry), as well as the spec page I just downloaded from the Toto website, it does appear that there is some extra piece (float I think someone suggested) above the flapper. The part on the left side of the tank looks different from the G-Max set-up, too, though perhaps it is only an external difference.
difference.

Loke

Reaction score
Visited the Toto retailer today and was told that it is the small float above the flapper on the Eco models that one would remove to convert back to a non-Eco model, should one feel the need to do so. That being said, one of the sales staff said that she has both the 1.6gpf and Eco Drake models in her home and hasn't perceived a difference in capability. Seems like everything is pointing to going with the Eco models.

attachment.php

E-Max flapper THU277S

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Found your site on the web and have to ask. Do you have no (or few) complaints about the TOTO. I got the Eco-Drake just after my mother passed away as I was worried about the potential traffic after a memorial. This thing has not cleanly flushed once. Toto insists it could flush what a horse leaves behind and I am sure it is true. However there would be little (or often big) green marks all the way around the bowl (under the water line). Unfortunately I have become way too familiar with the term “skid marksâ€. I was told some people use a brush (right like I want to have a stinky bacteria filled brush in my new bathroom and ask guests to use it) or that I was too sensitive (had to explain my husband is a wildlife biologist and I can eat a meal while he does a field necropsy with no problems!). I just want to see leftovers from me or anyone else when I open the lid.

After 3 months of getting pushed back and forth from TOTO to the store where I bought the toilet, I finally called the local TV consumer line. Toto came out and made it a 2 gallon flush…same problem. If I have a defective model, I will push for a replacement, but if the model itself doesn’t work, I will push for a new type altogether.

Long winded to ask if you REALLY don’t hear much negative about these toilets?
Lisa Sinizer
http://www.loainc.com/
Live Oak Associates, Inc

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I will push for a new type altogether.

And that may be best.
Since 1992, which is sixteen years ago, they have only sold toilets that use 1.6 gallon toilets or less.
If you replaced a 3.5 for 5.0 gallon toilet from an older home, then you will notice that more cleaning needs to be done.
These reviews are based on "NEW" toilets, not the old ones.
That phone call to the TV station should have been made in 1992 when the law changed.
If you want to flush with more water, it's fairly simple though, hold the handle down. It will drain the entire tank.
Cool huh, I know that sounds obvious, but I like to point out simple things like that to some people.

Last edited:

mike95060

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have become way too familiar with the term “skid marks”.

I have the same "skid mark" problem and I consider it a real negative. When I bought the toilet I was advised by the salesperson at the plumbing supply store to buy a "regular" seat, rather than the TOTO seat, for more comfort.

Does the TOTO seat move one forward more than a "regular" seat and lessen the "skid mark" problem? I don't think my problem is the less water that an Eco uses, so perhaps this could be answered by anyone who has experience with the Drake.

I have had my toilet since October and otherwise my enthusiastic comments earlier in this discussion still apply. There has never been a problem flushing. I have totally adjusted to the ADA height.

ss114_02.jpg

Toto SoftClose seat

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
I installed 2 Eco Drakes at my mother-in-law's house about 7 months ago, and I realized I had not weighed-in on them here on the boards.

I won't belabor the point, but just wanted to say that they're excellent in every way -- quiet, fast, NEVER clog, excellent quality. I prefer the Aquia II for the dual-flush and overall look, but if you want a more traditional-looking toilet, this is an excellent choice. Don't bother with American Standard, just buy a Toto -- and get the SoftClose seat, they are wonderful. I just bought a new house with a Glacier Bay and some unknown ancient toilet and it sets my teeth on-edge whenever I let go of the seat and it crashes down. They'll be on the curb in a few weeks once my Aquia II's arrive . . .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks