Am Std or Jacuzzi???

Users who are viewing this thread

Waltman

Reaction score
Looking for input / experience

I'll be installing a 72"x36" whirlpool in an alcove.

I'm looking at Jacuzzi Espree and American Standard Lifetime (Lowe's & HD)
They are comparably priced.

Each has 10 jets
AMSTD jets are recessed (are these any good)
Jacuzzi motor is 1.25 HP
AMSTD motor is 2.1 HP

How are the controls for each?

Anyone have experience or own either of these? Good & Bad...

Also looked at Watertech, but I think they may be out of my price range and they seem to lose alot of interior space with their design.

Thanks,
Walt

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
25 years from now if you need a part for that jacuzzi, they'll have it most likely. Can't say that for the latter, or the rest of the brands out there.

The reason AS puts in larger spec'd pump is knowing that people think they get more with a larger pump; that's not true.

Design, functionality, and longevity holds true in plumbing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get the maximum jetting effect with a pump, but have you looked into the manufacturer's specified maintenance? They want you to flush the system with their special chemicals once a month. If you don't, you can grow all sorts of nasty things in there. It can get pretty gross if you don't. Those pipes will hold a fair amount of stagnent water.

While not as aggressive, but still soothing, have you considered an air tub? When you are finished, it blow-dries itself and therefore needs MUCh less maintenance. Plus, you won't damage the pump (it's an air turbine) if you run it without water in the tub which WILL happen if you run a jetted system for a little without water.

Waltman

Reaction score
Whirlpool is a definite...we're upgrading from a soaker tub to this.

Mrs. Walt and I both have cranky lower backs and we are installing the whirlpool for this reason.

I don't mind performing the prescribed maintenance.

I'm leaning toward the Jacuzzi for the reasons stated on this thread. I just hope I can get the tub I want in the config I need...72"x36" with a RH drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks