(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing question

Default Framing question

I just gutted my kitchen and want to know why some of the blocking between the studs is installed at an angle and not straight across? Like this |/|\| only not such a large angle, maybe 25-30 degrees or so. Is it easier to nail that way, or is it stronger? Thanks,
    Neil

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

If that blocking is at a fairly consistent height along the wall, that angling might have been done to widen the area where cabinetry could be attached.

Default blocking

They cut all the blocks the same size, and oversize, then angled them however they fit. It was a lazy way to do it and would have caused a "real" framing carpenter to have a heart attack. Or as I asked a plumber one time, (who also happened to be the city plumbing inspector for a neighboring city), "Who installed that water heater?" And when he said, "I did.", I told him to redo it and do it right. At the time I was a third year apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho
    If that blocking is at a fairly consistent height along the wall, that angling might have been done to widen the area where cabinetry could be attached.
    It's about the height you'd expect a firebreak to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    They cut all the blocks the same size, and oversize, then angled them however they fit. It was a lazy way to do it and would have caused a "real" framing carpenter to have a heart attack. redo it and do it right.
    Ah, that make perfect sense! No measuring and they will always fit SOMEWHERE.
    Thanks

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states) Old Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman
    Ah, that make perfect sense! No measuring and they will always fit SOMEWHERE.
    Thanks
    Are the blocks straight cut or angle cut on the ends?Straight cut=lazy/ hack framer...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog
    Are the blocks straight cut or angle cut on the ends?Straight cut=lazy/ hack framer...
    Angled. How is straight a lazier way to do it? Seems like you'd have to be dead on for all the straight pieces to line up. These houses in my area went up in a hurry, that's for certain.

Smile blocking...

Have to see a picture of it but if they cut both ends on an angle they did it for a reason.As another poster said if they are straight cut and random length they were being lazy.A good inspector would of caught that during the framing stage.I have seen blocking done on angles in cabinet areas before.Are the 2x4's nailed on the edge or with the wide face out?Wide face out would indicate they wanted more area to fasten to.THey could of done it that way if they had to do a drywall repair for some reason and needed "dead wood" to fasten to.
    Fire blocking normally is horizontal staggered every other stud bay the thickness of a 2x4 so they can be nailed.Some framers "toenail" them in keeping them even all the way across. Many years ago had a inspector in Ca. give me a hard time for doing it that way...

Here's a photo. Those outside studs aren't really bowed, it's the camera lens. So the correct way is to have them straight across and staggered so you can nail directly into the end?

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Here's a photo ...
    Whew! Somebody sure made a lot of extra effort to cut and fit those so nicely ... and I still wonder why.

So the correct way is to have them straight across and staggered so you can nail directly into the end?
    That would be my own preference in order to avoid toe-nailing.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I notice that it's bowing out the stud to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    I notice that it's bowing out the stud to the left.
    That's just a trick of the camera lens, it's straight.

Default fireblocking

Fireblocking can be anywhere as long as it makes a cavity 8' long or less. I usually put mine down low where I can reach it without a ladder, although some like it 8' high for some reason. One old time framer got all bent out of shape when the blocking was offset. He wanted it straight across, (but also 8' high).

Rancher

I thought it was 10' or less?

Rancher

Smile Framing question...

Hey Bassman,
    I was looking thru one of my old Audel carpentry books My dad gave me from the 1950's today...It shows that type of angled draft/fire stop in framing details.I quote from the book about bracing and firestopping:"Angle of bracing and intermediate firestopping between floor levels should not be less than 15 degrees nor more than 30 degrees from the horizontal."
    Must of had an "old school" carpenter on your house...
    Last edited by Old Dog; 09-25-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Quality is never an accident.It is always the result of intelligent effort. (John Ruskin)