Electrical Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

brosnt1

Reaction score
I have a couple of question that I'm hoping someone can answer, any response will be greatly appreciated.
1. It states in the code book that type nm ROMEX® run thru floors is to be protected by conduit for a distance of 6" above the floor. Are they talking about in an open floor outside of the stud wall? I thought ROMEX® inside a stud wall can run unprotected thru the sub floor and bottom plate.

2. I have a 200 amp panel mounted on the wall of a garage. I cut out a 1/2" plywood board and put it around the panel. My ROMEX® (14-2, 12-2, 10-2 and 3)is coming down from the attic and I plan to fasten it to the plywood. My question is: is this an appropriate method of wiring the runs back to the panel? I guess what I'm concerned about is the unprotected ROMEX® from the ceiling to the panel, but I have seen this on other installation whether correct or not.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
brosnt1 said:
I have a couple of question that I'm hoping someone can answer, any response will be greatly appreciated.
1. It states in the code book that type nm ROMEX® run thru floors is to be protected by conduit for a distance of 6" above the floor. Are they talking about in an open floor outside of the stud wall? I thought ROMEX® inside a stud wall can run unprotected thru the sub floor and bottom plate.
You will be fine coming through the bottom plate. The Sheetrock will protect it for the first six inches

brosnt1 said:
2. I have a 200 amp panel mounted on the wall of a garage. I cut out a 1/2" plywood board and put it around the panel. My ROMEX® (14-2, 12-2, 10-2 and 3)is coming down from the attic and I plan to fasten it to the plywood. My question is: is this an appropriate method of wiring the runs back to the panel? I guess what I'm concerned about is the unprotected ROMEX® from the ceiling to the panel, but I have seen this on other installation whether correct or not.

Thanks
It is going to be hard getting the cables into the panel if it is covered from the top of the panel to the ceiling.

A close read of 110.26 and you will see that from the floor to a height of six feet above the panel or to the ceiling three feet out and 30 inches side to side belongs to the panel and is not to be blocked. This requirement is all the protection that the cables coming into the panel need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks