Which comes first - tub or floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

kahcrt

Reaction score
I am refining the plans to remodel my bathroom and would like some advice, please.

I thought the new vinyl flooring should go down first, and then the new tub, so that the flooring would extend slightly under the tub skirt.

The contractor says he wants to install the tub first (Kohler Sterling with surround) and have the floor cut to fit and caulked at the tub.

I don't usually try to second guess professionals, but try to be an informed consumer -- and this didn't sound quite right to me.

Many thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In new construction, the tub is often installed before the walls, so there is no finished floor underneath!

Installing the tub after the floor means also that they have to be more careful in not messing up the soft vinal - scratches, gouges, etc.

It could be done either way, but there are risks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen the floor installed first one time.

It's way more common to install the tub first.
For one thing, the floor may not even be level.
With an out of level floor, the tub can be shimmed, and the flooring hides the gap.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tub then vinyl.

Vinyl flooring has a much shorter life expectancy than a tub, and you certainly aren't going to be able to raise the tub every time you want new flooring.

It'll also be a lot easier to remove the vinyl when the time comes.

kahcrt

Reaction score
Thanks very much, gentlemen.

In the current setup, probably installed 45 years ago, the flooring goes under the skirt of the tub, so I thought that was the way to go. Thanks for setting me straight.

BTW, we all LOVE the Toto Drake Round we've already put in downstairs. (The first time my 2 year old grandaughter saw it she said "pretty potty" and tried to hug it.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks