Shower Drain Location

Users who are viewing this thread

wyo1661

Reaction score
My shower drain rough-in is 7" from the foundation wall. After I frame the wall, it will be even closer to the finished wall. Am I limited to a tub or are their shower pans with the drain at one end (as opposed to the center like most I have seen).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
There are many showers that fit into a bathtub space having either a right or left hand drain like a bathtub. All hope is not lost! :D

Good luck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, make sure it was plumbed for a shower - it needs to be a 2" drain pipe. It is best to have the drain in the center, but it can work elsewhere. The problem is, that you need 1/4" per foot slope of the floor, and if it is not in the middle, it is quite steep on the short side and looks weird. My unprofessional opinion.

wyo1661

Reaction score
Good info guys. Thanks. I am certain it is for a shower as its a 2". I am concerned that I cannot get a wall between the bowl and the shower as I would breach the 15" minimum barrier. If I go with a tub, the barrier is not such an issue.

One more question. Currently, I am using 2x4 studs on both the front (being where the shower head will go) and side (against the concrete foundation walls). I think I need to use 2x4 framing for the front as that is what the hot and cold pipes need to mount to as well as the shower head. But against the back, is it normal or OK to go with something less than 2x4's? Perhaps furring strips? This would allow me to gain an inch or two away from the toilet.

All the contractor had to do was move the toilet over about 6 inches and problem solved. :)

Thanks again for your input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd bite the bullet, break the floor, move the toilet over where it isn't a problem and center the shower drain. In the long run, you'll be much happier. While a messy job, it isn't all that hard.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If I had done that job, I would have installed a 2" drain at that location for a bathtub, or a 2" drain in the "center" for a shower. Your terms "front" and "side" may mean different things to us than they do to you, but you can use anything you want on the concrete wall to furr it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks