(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disconnecting power

You'll likely have to pull the meter to de-engergize the panel. If your meter has a locking ring, the utility usually needs to come out for an unlock. Around here though, if you wait for the utility you'll end-up watching the seasons change, so usually they're grinded them off (I am NOT suggesting you do this) and the job proceeds.

Problem is, you'll likely have to upgrade the meter pan too or your meter will end-up being a main "fuse". You may also need to upgrade your feeders as mentioned, but the POCO's seem to play fast and loose with feeder sizing, so you may be able to get by with undersized (and perhaps grossely underdized) feeders. Can't tell you how many times I see things like 3/0 for 200A spliced into #2 aluminum and other nonsense like that.

JW, aren't UG services fun? Nice ATS and meter pan set-up. Seems like there's not gap behind, did you cut out the siding to get them mounted so nice and flush? Do you have the rest of the genny install pics?

Quote Originally Posted by DarylF08
    I am going to change my panel from fuses to breakers.
    What is the easiest way to kill main power to the fuse box ?
    I installed a new 200 Amp QO panel to replace an old 100 Amp QO a few months ago. It went easily and quickly with the following process.

1. Called the power company and got a number assigned.
    2. Got a permit from the electrical inspector.
    3. Installed the new panel adjacent to the old panel.
    4. Ran temporary lines from the old panel using lugs on the load side of the original panel. You can do that safely by disconnecting the main. The temporary lines were protected by the main on the old panel.
    5. Connected all of the branch circuits to the new panel through the breakers in the new panel.
    6. Preassembled the new meter pan, conduit, and weatherhead, and ran the wires from meter pan through weatherhead. I now had an assembly that I could fasten into place in one piece.
    7. Installed new (larger) Grounding Electrode Conductor.
    8. Installed PVC conduit inside to go from the new panel to the point where the back of the new meter pan would be installed. You could also use SE cable.
    9. Called the electric company and the inspector and scheduled the change-over. They told me since I had a service number I could disconnect the service without waiting.

I didn't have to work anything hot. Only briefly without power during changeover from one panel to the other.

On the morning of the service changeover, started at 7 AM:
    1. Cut the aluminum service wires on my side of the weatherhead service splice with a pair of Fiskar insulated pruning loppers, and bent them out of the way. The loppers worked great.
    2. Removed meter and old service equipment.
    3. Installed the new meter pan, conduit and weatherhead assembly with 4/0 aluminum conductors.
    4. Ran 4/0 aluminum from the meter pan to the new panel.
    5. Called inspector for inspection. About 9 AM
    6. Waited for inspector. (about 3 hours)
    7. POCO hooked up the power about 30 minutes after the inspector called.
    Last edited by Bob NH; 10-01-2007 at 01:12 PM.