Dual sensor Dual head motion light?

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
sandyman720 said:
Are motion lights made that have 2 lamps and 2 separate motion sensors?

I have installed a dozen motion sensors on just one head so I would think that you can arrange them in the fashion your mind can imagine.

sandyman720

Reaction score
I want 2 lamps and 2 sensors on 1 mounting. That way I can put it on the eve overhang and aim 1 down 1 wall and the other down the other wall.

Do they make them like this?

JWelectric

Reaction score
sandyman720 said:
I want 2 lamps and 2 sensors on 1 mounting. That way I can put it on the eve overhang and aim 1 down 1 wall and the other down the other wall.

Do they make them like this?

Yes

If you have two sensors in the same spot they will over ride each other.

EDIT for spelling
thought that you spelled 2 as tow

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've not seen one like that...doesn't mean they don't exist. Simple answer, install two separate units.

JWelectric

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
I've not seen one like that...doesn't mean they don't exist. Simple answer, install two separate units.

The problem with two sensors and two heads at the same location is they will interfere with each other. Either both lights will come on at the same time or one light will tell the other sensor that it is daytime and it will not work.

I have installed sensors all around a building so that any movement will turn on all the lights through a contactor.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Couldn't you just wire one sensor to one light, the other sensor to the other light? No seeing why there'd be interference in that case...

Of course, I'm not sure they make a 4-hole lampholder cover, which you would need for that setup.

JWelectric

Reaction score
frenchie said:
Couldn't you just wire one sensor to one light, the other sensor to the other light? No seeing why there'd be interference in that case...

Of course, I'm not sure they make a 4-hole lampholder cover, which you would need for that setup.

Yes and I have done just this.

The problems I have found is that one sensor comes on and tell the other sensor that it is day time so it doesn't work.
Then if something is in the motion range of both sensors then both lights come on which defeats the purpose of two sensors.

The best outcome would be one sensor and two lights.

sindikeesan

Reaction score
How do we wire two (outdoor) remote sensors and one 2-way (or two 3-way) light switches to control one light fixture?

What readily accessible brand/model would work best for this?

We want the porch light to come on when someone exits the house onto the porch, or approaches the porch from outside, with manual override. The porch light will be placed so as to shine on the steps and front walk.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks