How far can a shallow well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

BullheadPond

Reaction score
I Have A Shallow Well Pump That Says It Can Pump 25-30ft Vertical Lift.
My Question Is If I Have A Sand Piont About 125 Feet From The House And The Point Is Only About 15ft Down, Will The Pump Work If I Put It In The House. The Total Vertical Lift Would Only Be A About 20ft But The Horizontal Would Be Around 125ft.
These Shallow Well Pumps Never Seem To Say How Far They Will Work Horizontally?

People Are Teeling Me That I Will Have To Put The Pump In A Enclosure Outside Right Where The Point Is Driven In At?
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Every bit of friction loss in the 125 feet of horizontal suction run counts as added suction lift. You'd be much better off with a pump at the point, if you're starting with a 15 foot lift.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could use larger pipe for the suction line. Like 2" maybe. Getting it initially primed will be the hardest thing. Once primed, it should work ok. Don't put a check valve at the pump, put it at the top of the well.

25 feet is the maximum is will lift vertically not 30.

bob...

BullheadPond

Reaction score
bob,

Do you think 1 1/4" pipe will work? also when i priime it does the whole 125ft of pipe have to have water in it for it to prime? I am farly new to this.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes you have to fill all of the line with water to prime the pump. AND you can not allow ANY bellies in the line; all of it has to be flat or downhill back to the well.

What type pipe are you using?

A roll of 1.25" PE pipe would be the best choice, it has the lowest friction loss/100 ft of all materials. Any type of PVC or steel will have the highest due to the couplers every 10-20 feet. And any elbows would add to the loss and you don't need them with PE. PE is also the easiest/fastest to install. You unroll it into the trench as you walk along side the roll and ditch. You let it wander from side to side in the ditch and you don't have expansion/contraction problems like PVC. You'd have all of three fittings. They should be SS. And have two opposed SS hose clamps on each. You'd have afitting on each end of a 100 roll and then a coupler and the far end off another 50 or 100 foot roll.

You should use 160 or 200 psi rated PE pipe and keep it off sharp edges and sharp edged things off it when you bury it.

BullheadPond

Reaction score
GRAY,
I don't know where the last post i made went. let me try again,
do you agree that i can put the shallow well pump in the house 125ft away from the sand point and that the check valve should be in the vertical pipe where the point is driven in? I would rather put it in th house because right now it is a vaction home until i retire there in a few years and i have to drain the water for the winter. any ideas on this?

I am glad i foiund this this site . I was going to use 1 1/4 metal pipe
The plastic sound easier. How hard is it to straighten out as you are unrolling it>

thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you're asking me but Bob knows much more about this type well than I do.

Based on what you've said, I don't think any jet pump is going to work well 10' uphill and a 125' away from the well. That is because of the elevation you have. You can't lift water more than 25' at sea level.

Bob has 3' and 4" submersible pumps and that would be my choice if I were doing this.

PE pipe lays in the trench as you unroll it into the trench. All you'd need with a submersible pump is a 1" line. Of course that means a drilled or cable machine pounded well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks