Electronic Ignition on Gas Stove problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
The gas company just turned the gas back on. The stove only lit once, and will not lite any more. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
Molo

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There might still be air in the line. Did you try to light the burners manually? If they light manually, then you have an electrical problem. If they don't light, then it's a gas problem. Since there's no standing pilot, you may need to open each burner individually for a few seconds to purge the air.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Verdeboy said:
... you may need to open each burner individually for a few seconds to purge the air.

Yes, and it might even take longer than that. Open one burner and give it a spark every couple of seconds until it lights, then do the same with the others and let them all burn for a minute or so to purge the line.

Molo

Reaction score
It lit once, now I can hear the gas running, hear the ignitor, and even smell gas, any more ideas?

TIA

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Our stove has electronic igniters that always click when they should but only actually light one burner. So, we use a fireplace lighter when we need any of the other three. Let me know if you figure out what it takes to make them work like they should!

Molo

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

They are working, I tried the manual lighting and let it burn. That got all 4 elements and the oven working fine.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can you see an arc for those igniters that don't seem to light their burners? SOmetimes, all it takes is a careful cleaning of the contacts to get them to work again.

Molo

Reaction score
They are all lighting now Jad, but it does take 5-6 "clicks" before it happens, maybe I'll clean them.

Thanks for the help

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jadnashua said:
Can you see an arc for those igniters that don't seem to light their burners? SOmetimes, all it takes is a careful cleaning of the contacts to get them to work again.

On mine, there are two igniters for four burners, and only one of the igniters will light even one burner. My guess is that the gas does not flow toward the igniters like it should, and maybe that is because the little tubes between the igniters and the burners are not "shiny new".

Even after installing a new igniter in the oven below, neither could I ever get it to work. So, I ultimately took all the gas parts out and made the oven electric.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Verdeboy said:
How the heck did you do that?

I came across an old oven-stove somebody had set out for pickup, and while the burners looked really nasty, it was obvious the oven part had hardly ever been used. So, I took the heating elements and wiring and control out of that one and installed those parts in mine. I drilled holes in the back of the oven box where the elements stick through, then used all the mounting hardware that came along with the elements. The electric control and thermo bulb bolted right into place where the gas ones had been, but the knob does not quite match and I could not use the old one.

Interestingly, it was after the fact that a chef told my wife gas tops with electric bottoms are preferred among the pros!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, dual-fuel stoves are often preferred. Depending on what you are doing, electric ovens are 'drier' and can be (but not necessarily are) more even in temperature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks