Copper to Brass with Teflon

Users who are viewing this thread

Sincraft

Reaction score
Started a new thread as, it is a new issue and I figure it best for those using the SEACH button at the top, which has helped me BIGTIME in the past.

I recently botched a job soldering copper to brass. I don't think it got hot enough to melt the solder correctly and thus I had my first soldering leak.

now I'm wondering. I have threads on the outside of this valve. I'm using these adapters that screw onto the threads of the valve and then you solder pipe into the adapter as needed. Should be ALOT easier than trying to solder directly to brass.

I put the adapters on with Teflon tape correct? I screwed them down as tight as I could with a pipe wrench with the valve carefully placed in a vice.

Now I have to solder.

Did I just screw up, do I need to remove the adapters, solder them FIRST then attach my adapters with their copper fittings attached?

I'm doing as much work as possible out of the bathroom , getting it all ready to just cut the lines, couple and bam be done with this.

???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally, I would solder on the female fittings first to sections of pipe, then thread them on.

Applying heat to the FA may melt the tape.

Most of the plumbers are soldering the pipes to the valve body.
There is less that can go wrong that way.

Sincraft

Reaction score
Ok I'll rip them off and do it the right way.

I can't solder them directly to the body. I tried that once and that's how I ended up with a leak. Now the body even after extensive removal attempts, is covered with solder. I don't think you can resolder something after it has already been solder when you can't remove it correct?

S

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
You'd have to remove the solder to be able to try soldering again directly to the valve, clean the brass down to finish metal with a flame on it to aid the process - not a good time.
The concern now goes to whether the seal might have been overheated.
In your situation I'd make thoroughly sure the solder were removed from the threads, if not you'll get leaks.
You'll want to solder two threaded adapters onto two small pieces of copper pipe.
Let them cool, then use dope on the male threads, wrap the threads in teflon over the dope in the same direction you'll tighten the adapters on and tighten both small pieces to the valve.
Then I'd use two slip couplings (they have no stops inside...can be slid along their length in either direction) to to connect the valve on either side, being sure to make as much distance as possible to avoid melting the seals inside the valve.
One VERY important note, have a fire extinguisher on hand when soldering the slip couplings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You can resolder as long as the old solder stuck to the brass and "tinned" it. If you are having a problem you are doing something very wrong.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect one of two things. Most likely you didn't get the brass hot enough. The other possibility is not enough flux.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Sincraft said:
...soldering copper to brass..... threads on the outside ....
liquid teflon, pipe dope, teflon tape, plumber's putty... good idea to start a new thread on these topics too. Chrome to copper, copper to brass, etc.

Sincraft, I can't see your situation from here, but i think it might be good to solder a 2-inch piece of copper to the brass (i.e. to the adaptor or just straight onto the real thing that the adaptor is supposed to adapt to) and then have that stub to solder to later when you are installing your pipes in the wall.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks