hot water pipe near elec.wire

Users who are viewing this thread

pipewoe

Reaction score
ok, my remodel problems continue. The washer/dryer alcove in my new remodel bath project is very tight. The plumber put in the water/waste pipes (copper 1/2 for hot-cold) and the electrician ran the 220 into the same alclove. The electrical wire comes very close to the copper. Do I need to be concerned about the hot water in the copper pipe potentially ever melting the electrical wire? Since I was, I went to Home Depot and was told I could tape the copper w/20 ml pvc tape (its really thick black tape.) Was about to do that when i thought someone out there might know.

Thanks--boy will I be glad when this is all done!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Why not just use the split foam pipe insulation. I bet it would be way easier to install and be a lot easier to remove if you ever need to cut into your pipes.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far a the hot water melting the wire insulation, forget about it! The hottest you water could get is 150o and wire insulation withstands far more than that. It isn't a bad idea to use the split foam insulation on your pipes, but not to protect the wires.

pipewoe

Reaction score
The guy at Home Depot said I didn't want to use the split foam (that was my first instinct--to use it I mean) Not sure why--he said it shouldn't be enclosed in a wall (again, not sure why). So what about this pvc "tape" I bought--is there any potential harm in using it--it does wrap nicely around the copper and like I said, is pretty thick.

Sorry--Just a nervous nellie about all this, my first remodel involving elec. and plumbing together.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't need either one...use whichever makes you feel better.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Two things to learn here. adding plumbers tape will stint cooling on romax.

Why would You have any faith in the advice given by a H D employee?

Does that orange apron give one practical experience ,or a masters License?:rolleyes:

pipewoe

Reaction score
toolaholic said:
Two things to learn here. adding plumbers tape will stint cooling on romax.

Toolaholic, not sure what this means. Is the pvc tape "plumbers tape", and what does stint cooling mean (I know that the romax is the wire, but not sure what you mean by the stint cooling part.) Can you elaborate, and then which should I do--wrap w/the pvc tape or split foam insulation?

Thanks.

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
Pipewoe:

Let me step in i work on electrical system and normally for majorty of resdentail area the hot water dont useally go over 135°F because majorty of them have written in the code somewhere in the plumming or building code i am not sure [ plumming guys please chime in on this one if you can thanks]

i did see alot of rewired project that some of them run Romax® thru the cavity area where the water pipe and drain pipes run thru useally they are not much a issuse but use the common sense keep them about a inch away from hotwater pipe.

ok i dont know where you get the idea to put the split foam or somekind of big arse tape on the wire to warp it around more thicker genrally that is a no-no because what will happend that when the wire get " loaded " with hevey current like example 14 gauage wire [ that is 15 amp breaker per code unless noted somewhere else ]

run the wire at 12 amp for few hours it will get pretty warm like warm water is but really inside the cable it is hotter than what you think when you wrap it up it it can get hotter depending on where the wire everment is.

i did see one photo one ec show it on one fourm [ i dont rember which one it is for the time being but as soon i find it i will post it in electrical section in this forum , thanks ]

someone did spray expanding foam and got pretty well packed up and the wire got blisted up pretty good IIRC that it was caused by repeating short circuit.

merci, Marc

pipewoe

Reaction score
Merci, frenchelectrician. I meant to wrap the hot water (copper) pipe, not the elec wire. I'm feeling better w/all the responses that its not that much of an issue and I have wiggled the wires around (and secured them) so that they are a good inch away from the pipes, and I did end up wrapping the pipe in the pvc tape. I think that will work, given all the advice.

A la prochaine!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks