2nd Floor Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
Looking for good reference help on adding a sink & toilet to a 2nd floor home... I'm concerned dealing with the floor joists etc.. & dealing with plumbing codes & inspections.. A relative of mine is having mobility problems, and using the stairs is getting difficult...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Let us know what state your in, there are plumbers from all over in this forum...one's bound to know some local code for you.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Jed54 said:
Looking for good reference help on adding a sink & toilet to a 2nd floor home... I'm concerned dealing with the floor joists etc.. & dealing with plumbing codes & inspections.. A relative of mine is having mobility problems, and using the stairs is getting difficult...
I would also add a shower to help with any bathing needs. If your going to bother adding a 1/2 bath you should just go all the way and make things that much easier for your relative.

Jed54

Reaction score
Just looking for toilet & sink.... 2nd floor is not very large... the only possible pvc run is going thru floor close to wall, and continuing to basement,, and boxing off work with drywall.. I live in St. Louis,,, My wife watches all these programs dealing with flipping homes..... I seen a fellow tonight get a failed insp. with plumbing 3 times....! Never got into detail, but to me the problem was the first plumber.... Didn't look very intelligent.. Codes are a big headache......, but they serve a purpose.. Thanks ......

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The biggest thing you will need to think about is vents. That probably is the last thing on every home owners mind. You can always run a new 3" drain from second floor down and up for vent. Then box the pipe in. The sink can be stack vented with no problems.

Jed54

Reaction score
So even tapping into existing plumbing using present vent from first floor will not work? A second went will need to be added to 2nd floor?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
All your fixtures must be vented above the highest fixture. What this means is you would have an easier time running a new line down for the second floor 1/2 bath. If you don't have things piped and vented right your lower fixtures will girgle and you could suck the traps dry and let sewer gasses out stinking up your home.

I am also assumeing about how your fixtures are set up. I would think real hard before I try what you are think of doing. It could cause more problems for you and your family.

Last edited:

Jed54

Reaction score
The one room has a small closet, and there is the main vent stack.. Getting access to vent is very easy... I guess some things seem to be much easier thinking about in our minds other then actually following them thru.... To tell you the truth........ moving sounds even easier... I'm glad our house is on one level.............:rolleyes:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the existing vent line is nearby, you can tap into it above the height of the new sink on the second floor, or in the attic, if that is easier. If it isn't, then you'll need to run it all the way through the roof.

The drain can't use the existing vent line. You can join into the sewer drain below the first floor. The toilet would require at least a 3" pipe, and the vent from below probably isn't that size anyways.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Your problem may be getting a new vent for the first floor after you change the existing vent to a drain line. "Flip this House" is always about doing the job the cheapest way, even if they have to beat the subcontractor down until he has to cut corners to break even. And all they are concerned about is whether it looks good when they are done, regardless of the quality of workmanship involved.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

This is a typical 2 story plumbing wall.
Each fixture is vented, the vents tie together at 42" above the floor, run separately up and again tie together at the next floor at 42".

The waste lines combine using santee fittings on the vertical,
The horizontal waste fittings are combo's or wye fittings with 45 el's.

There are twice as many pipes as most people think there are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks