To pigtail or not to pigtail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had to replace a receptacle today that had 3 hot wires and 3 neutrals connected to it. Two hots and two neutrals were "stabbed" and one of each was screwed. The receptacle I bought was labeled "heavy duty" and had no holes for stabbing.

I ended up using one screw for two #12 wires on both the hot and neutral side. Is that kosher, or should I have pigtailed the wires together instead, so only one wire per screw?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Two wires on one screw is not acceptable. The type of receptacle I prefer is what they call "back-wired". This is NOT the same as "quickwire" or " backstabbed". The "backwire" has opening holes on the back side. You insert the wire and when you tighten the screw, it clamps the wire. Very secure. It accepts 4 wires on each side ( 4 black, 4 white.)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One wire per screw. You've got a loose connection waiting to happen.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Okay, I'll have to re-do it using the back-wire receptacle.

But I really did tighten the heck out of those screws and clamped the wires down extremely tight. Much better than the previous stab connections that were pretty easy to pull out.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Is there no room to use wire nuts to join the three sets of hot and neutral, along with more wires going to the spec-grade receptacle?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wet_Boots said:
Is there no room to use wire nuts to join the three sets of hot and neutral, along with more wires going to the spec-grade receptacle?

There actually is very little room in that box for any additional wires and wirenuts. But, that's why I asked the question. I thought my only two options were pigtailing all the wires together and running a wire to the outlet or doubling up on the screws. But, Jimbo's back-wiring suggestion makes the most sense.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Very little room might be enough, if you really wanted to use spec-grade receptacles. Was there a reason for selecting spec-grade in the first place?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wet_Boots said:
Was there a reason for selecting spec-grade in the first place?

I actually just bought the cheapest receptacles ACE had. Apparently they don't carry the standard ones. I'll just get my receptacles from the elect. supply shop from now on.

Is it actually a code violation to double-up or is it just a lame-brain thing to do?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
What the he**. A broken resolution's not worth keeping anyways, right?

Verdeboy said:
Is it actually a code violation to double-up or is it just a lame-brain thing to do?

Both. :)

It's got something to do with when one wire's under load, and the other isn't, they expand & contract at different rates, or something like that... Mike will be able to explain better; but the point is just that it can work itself loose, even if it seems solid right now.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
I actually just bought the cheapest receptacles ACE had. Apparently they don't carry the standard ones. I'll just get my receptacles from the elect. supply shop from now on.
Maybe those were old inventory. Usually, a spec-grade item costs more. Pay more, and no back-wiring - great deal, what?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wire

Our inspectors enforce the "one screw/one wire" rule, even on circuit breakers where you could conceivably put one wire in each groove on either side of the wire clamp.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
hj said:
Our inspectors enforce the "one screw/one wire" rule, even on circuit breakers where you could conceivably put one wire in each groove on either side of the wire clamp.
Get in touch with Square "D" conpany and let them know about this enforcement and it will go away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks