Problem with ABS fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

bimmer

Reaction score
I am relocating my bath tub. I need to move the drain (which is under concrete slab) approx. 2' at 90 deg. angle. The drain is 2" abs. My problem is that there isn't enough clean abs for new fitting. These is a 4" long piece of pipe that runs between the 90 which goes into the p-trap and a T which is also used for vent. This 4" piece of pipe has a larger piece of pipe (u shaped) glued to the underside of it (I assume as a stiffener). The guy at the big store suggested that I cut the 90 (which goes into the p-trap) at the collar and clamp a 2" rubber coupling onto it. This is what I did but do you agree? I am desperately trying to avoid having to go way under the slab to find a clean piece of pipe. fyi the T that is used for the drain/vent is up against the slab and under a supporting wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The p-trap should be under the drain, so you might need to move things anyways...

bimmer

Reaction score
Patrick88

I tried to send jpg pics of drain. One w/rubber coupling attached, one w/cut-off collar of 90 and one showing drain, slab and new hole/trench where new p-trap and drain pipes will go.
I'm getting error msg saying that just one picture is much too large and can't be sent.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a max file size for jpg. For viewing, it doesn't need all that much resolution. Most photo programs can resize them. If you don't have one, IFANVIEW (sp?) is available and free.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
There is a max file size for jpg. For viewing, it doesn't need all that much resolution. Most photo programs can resize them. If you don't have one, IFANVIEW (sp?) is available and free.

Irfanview is my fav small photo program...
Link to it's site is here...
Been using it for years now...
http://www.irfanview.net/

bimmer

Reaction score
Hi Partick88

Finally reduced the size of these pics. Hope you can make out what I am talking about.
One pic shows the 4" abs with "stiffener" on underside. At the near end is the rubber coupling that I attached to the collar of the cut-off 90. The other pic is of the slab which shows drain to left and hole/channel for the future p-trap and drain pipes to right. If you think the rubber coupling is acceptable then I can run a 90 from it to the new opening then connect to new p-trap.
Would appreciate your comments / recommedations.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 212

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If you think the rubber coupling is acceptable
Well i guess you don't have much of a choice with this one. Ferncos are meant for under ground work. They do bend and shift real easy.
The only way to make this right. That is not using a fernco would be to find a place on your drain and vent and repipe it. I would rather you do it by code but aside from ripping everything apart you don't have many options.
you could try to use a mission coupling to make it stronger.

Last edited:

bimmer

Reaction score
Hi Patrick88

I agree, not much of a choice in this case.
Thanks for your advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks