American Standard Ultra-Mix Pressure Balancing Bath and Shower Set Model 1363 Series

Users who are viewing this thread

munkyboi

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the following shower faucet:

American Standard Ultra-Mix Pressure Balancing Bath and Shower Set Model 1363 Series
and just a few days ago, the following problem had developed:

- If I turn the handle to the cold water, the cold water would come out, but if I continue to turn the handle to the hot water side, the water pressure would drop and only cold water would continue to come out, no hot water.

What do I need to do to fix this?

do I need to replace the cartridge kit? or the balancing spool kit? or the check stop kit?

I am attaching the diagram of the assembly below:

am_1363_series.jpg

thank you,
munkyboi

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
First check the stop to see if debris is stopping the the hot water from coming in.
If that's ok i would change the balancing spool which would be your easiest and probably the problem as the the spools stick over time with build up of minerals.

munkyboi

Reaction score
thanks. how can I check the stop?

do you mean the "check stop kit" on the far right of the assembly?

I thought that's what I would need to turn clockwise to shut off the hot water supply. the same as I would turn the screw on the far left clockwise to shut off the cold water before I can proceed to remove the "balancing spool kit".

please confirm.

thanks!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would check the balancing spool to make sure it moves freely. This product should be under warranty, so A/S should give you what ever you need to fix it.

munkyboi

Reaction score
OK thanks. please confirm if the following is the right procedure to remove the "balancing spool kit":

1. turn the small screws on the far left and far right clockwise to shut off the water supply

2. turn the faucet handle to make sure no water is coming out of the spout to confirm that the water supply has indeed been shut off

3. use a big flat head screwdriver to remove the "balancing spool kit" by turning it counter-clockwise, as if removing a screw

4. check the "balancing spool kit" to make sure it moves freely and free of debris

5. apply stem grease on the "balancing spool kit" and put back to the assembly

and if the "balancing spool kit" is not moving freely, then contact American Standard to request a warranty replacement part.

does the above plan sound right?

thanks.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
munkyboi said:
ok thanks. please confirm if the following is the right procedure to remove the "balancing spool kit":

1. turn the small screws on the far left and far right clockwise to shut off the water supply

2. turn the faucet handle to make sure no water is coming out of the spout to confirm that the water supply has indeed been shut off

3. use a big flat head screwdriver to remove the "balancing spool kit" by turning it counter-clockwise, as if removing a screw

4. check the "balancing spool kit" to make sure it moves freely and free of debris

5. apply stem grease on the "balancing spool kit" and put back to the assembly

and if the "balancing spool kit" is not moving freely, then contact american standard to request a warranty replacement part.

does the above plan sound right?

thanks.
Yes sounds good. If the spool is not moving right then you could give it a good smack. Holding it up right | with open end down and hitting it into your palm works sometimes. Once it comes loose grease it well.

munkyboi

Reaction score
so I called American Standard and they sent me the
spool kit as well as the cartridge kit. tonight
I finally had a chance to try to remove the old spool
and here is what happened.

I shut off the water by turning the stops on both end,
I then turned the lever to release any remaining water
and pressure from the faucet. i then used an adjustable
socket wrench to unscrew the spool kit. after a few
attempt with a firm grip, I finally managed to loosen
it and i continued to unscrew it.

however, instead of the whole assembly coming out, only
the front cap portion of it was coming out and I didn't
expect that to happen since when I looked at the new
replacement kit, it looks like it's one complete piece.

Anyway, the front cap portion came off and dropped
behind the wall. I thought it didn't really matter since
I am replacing the whole thing with the new one anyway
and I would have no need to put the old front cap
back on again.

but the problem now is the remainder of the old part
is still in the faucet and i am not sure how i could remove
it before I could put the new spool kit back in. any
advice?

thanks again,
munkyboi

Syncom2

Reaction score
When doing some researching I ran across this old request for help... which sorta left me hanging, wondering how it came out. I am having the same problem myself... cartridge has been replaced, still no hot water... any and all advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Syncom2

Reaction score
I'm sorry hj as I didn't make myself very clear in my post. I was wondering if Munkybol was able to make his faucet functional once again? As did Munkybol, I am currently having a very similar issue with an American Standard single lever shower faucet. Because of no hot water flowing, I replaced the Cartridge. Still, no hot water. :( So I removed the Check Stop (both sides) and cleaned them each. I didn't notice any debris on the parts or seals, just a discoloration, primarily... a black film covering the parts. After re-inserting them each, I removed the Balancing Spool. The plunger wasn't moving freely at first, but then I was able to work it back and forth. I cleaned it very well, lubricated it (lightly) and now I have NO water... no hot, no cold... nil! I was wondering how one goes about "setting" it up? Maybe the Check Stops need adjusted? If I back-out the Check Stop screws very far, they leak around the threads. But even when I get to that point, just barely a trickle of water will come out the spout. I'm at a total loss... on a fixed income, so I really was hoping I'd be able to resolve this issue myself. Any such advice... or might there be some helpful instructions I can find at an online site?? Thank you so much!

Syncom2

Reaction score
Because there is no hot nor cold water coming out of the valve now, I've removed both plungers and springs from the 2 check stop(s). Still, no water... thru the new spool nor thru the new cartridge. So does that mean there is a blockage on both sides... hot and cold, like between the check stops and the spool?? If so, and IF I can remove what might be a blockage with a small piece of wire... or something, how does one go about "adjusting" the plunger/spring portion of the stop check? The so-called adjustment threads are now leaking as well. :(

TuckerBechtel

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to replace the UltraMix Ceramic Single Lever Cartridge but for the love of god i can not figure out how to get the acrylic knob handle off so i can get in there. there are no screws visible and the front of the handle doesn't pop off like the other ones ive seen here is a pic.

as-ultra-mix.jpg

IMG_3732(1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks