Rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. I made sure all the wires are more than 6" long. more along the line of 10~12"

I still plan to add some 2x4 around the switch box. But before I move forward how does my rough in look now?

rough in 1.jpg

rough in2.jpg

sjcrawley

Electrician
Reaction score
oh ya

if i did work that exact and perfect before the drywall no one could afford me looks really nice. ( i asume everything is in order)

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
sjcrawley said:
if i did work that exact and perfect before the drywall no one could afford me
It's not all that time consuming to do a neat rough-in once you've done it for a while.

I ignore folks who tell me "No one will see it once the sheetrock is up".:mad:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
IMO, I thought it was pretty messy compared to what I do, but this is no slam at the installer, it looked good....

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
Chris75 said:
IMO, I thought it was pretty messy compared to what I do, but this is no slam at the installer, it looked good....

Chris,
This is my first time doing rough in. I did not have any pics to follow only the advices from members of this site.
As long it will pass and I can move forward I will be happy.

Side note the 6" wire length from NEC. Couldn't I just use a pig tail to increase the length instead rerun the whole wire?

Last edited:

KD

Reaction score
I have had jobs where the inspectors want the switches removed. I remove them and install wire nuts to make the lights turn on. Then we switch off the circuit breakers so the drywallers can do their thing .

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
ked said:
I have had jobs where the inspectors want the switches removed. I remove them and install wire nuts to make the lights turn on. Then we switch off the circuit breakers so the drywallers can do their thing .
WHY are you even installing devices before the rock goes up????? :confused:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Speedy Petey said:
WHY are you even installing devices before the rock goes up????? :confused:

I generally install some temporary devices, lets face it people need lights and power to work...

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Chris75 said:
I generally install some temporary devices, lets face it people need lights and power to work...
That's a different story. I do the same. Although I think temp lighting is a luxury.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Speedy Petey said:
That's a different story. I do the same. Although I think temp lighting is a luxury.

Yes it is... I hate when people ask for lites to be turned on, yeah, like I have nothing better to do than cap off all the other hots in other switch boxes, tie the feeder in and install a temp switch and light socket... :D

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Chris75 said:
Yes it is... I hate when people ask for lites to be turned on, yeah, like I have nothing better to do than cap off all the other hots in other switch boxes, tie the feeder in and install a temp switch and light socket... :D
You know it!

It is painfully obvious that folks have NO clue what it takes to run temp lights on the branch circuits. I'd almost rather get some string lights and hang them. :rolleyes:

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
can someone please answer the question regarding the 6" wire length out of switch box and outlet boxes from NEC. Couldn't I just use a pig tail to increase the length instead rerun the whole wire? thanks.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use pigtails, but if your wires are long enough to install the switches I would not mess with it unless the inspector gives you a hard time, which he probably won't.

With the neutrals and grounds made up you shouldn't have a problem. If you need to make up some length you could rearrange those brackets onto a cross-piece to get a little more.

Hids2000

Reaction score
Website
www.hidfoglight.com
Bob NH said:
You could use pigtails, but if your wires are long enough to install the switches I would not mess with it unless the inspector gives you a hard time, which he probably won't.

With the neutrals and grounds made up you shouldn't have a problem. If you need to make up some length you could rearrange those brackets onto a cross-piece to get a little more.

thanks bob. I made sure they are all more than 10" in length.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks