(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rough in

I have had jobs where the inspectors want the switches removed. I remove them and install wire nuts to make the lights turn on. Then we switch off the circuit breakers so the drywallers can do their thing .

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ked
    I have had jobs where the inspectors want the switches removed. I remove them and install wire nuts to make the lights turn on. Then we switch off the circuit breakers so the drywallers can do their thing .
    WHY are you even installing devices before the rock goes up?????

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
    WHY are you even installing devices before the rock goes up?????

I generally install some temporary devices, lets face it people need lights and power to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75
    I generally install some temporary devices, lets face it people need lights and power to work...
    That's a different story. I do the same. Although I think temp lighting is a luxury.

That's a different story. I do the same. Although I think temp lighting is a luxury.

Yes it is... I hate when people ask for lites to be turned on, yeah, like I have nothing better to do than cap off all the other hots in other switch boxes, tie the feeder in and install a temp switch and light socket...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris75
    Yes it is... I hate when people ask for lites to be turned on, yeah, like I have nothing better to do than cap off all the other hots in other switch boxes, tie the feeder in and install a temp switch and light socket...
    You know it!

It is painfully obvious that folks have NO clue what it takes to run temp lights on the branch circuits. I'd almost rather get some string lights and hang them.

can someone please answer the question regarding the 6" wire length out of switch box and outlet boxes from NEC. Couldn't I just use a pig tail to increase the length instead rerun the whole wire? thanks.

Yes, a pigtail is fine.

You could use pigtails, but if your wires are long enough to install the switches I would not mess with it unless the inspector gives you a hard time, which he probably won't.

With the neutrals and grounds made up you shouldn't have a problem. If you need to make up some length you could rearrange those brackets onto a cross-piece to get a little more.

Yes, a pigtail is fine.
    thanks pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH
    You could use pigtails, but if your wires are long enough to install the switches I would not mess with it unless the inspector gives you a hard time, which he probably won't.

With the neutrals and grounds made up you shouldn't have a problem. If you need to make up some length you could rearrange those brackets onto a cross-piece to get a little more.
    thanks bob. I made sure they are all more than 10" in length.