Do all metal boxes need screw-in clamps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I spent about $8.00 on a metal ceiling fan box, but it didn't come with any screw-in clamps. Does that mean it is not required, or do I have to supply my own? The Romex cable is stapled up to a few inches of the opening in the box.

Is a screw-in clamp required whenever a cable enters or leaves any kind of metal box--be it for a light switch, outlet, light fixture, or junction box?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Is a screw-in clamp required whenever a cable enters or leaves any kind of metal box--be it for a light switch, outlet, light fixture, or junction box?
SOME sort of clamp IS required. Whether it be integral to the box or separate.

With a metal box something needs to secure and protect it.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:

Far as I know... yes.

At less than a dollar apiece, why's it matter?

Must be even less, where you are, since you got the fan box for 8 - fan box costs almost 20 up here.

edit: dang, I just answered an electrical question from Eric, didn't I?

:)

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
frenchie said:
edit: dang, I just answered an electrical question from Eric, didn't I?:)
See, that wasn't so bad. :)

More to come. I like doing electrical stuff. It's nice, clean work (unlike other trades I can think of) and you get to use your brain a lot.

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
did you buy a handybox or something similar that has knockouts for those threaded nipples?

KD

Reaction score
Most jurisdictions allow the use of plastic grommets, bushings, if you staple within 8 inches of the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks