What I do If I have a client that needs the bathroom asap is:
Average 8' x 10' bathroom
1. Remove toilet. 10 min. Remove base molding. 10 min.
2. Cut and screw down concrete board. 1 hr. Cut bottom of door case
molding so tile goes underneath it. 10 min.
3. Lay out and cut tiles to fit bathroom. 2 to 3 hrs
4. Install toilet flange extender. 15 min
5. Install tiles around toilet first with quick dry 2 hour thin set mortor. 3/4hr
(Takes time to mix mortor and lay tiles around toilet area.)
6. Finish laying tiles with 2 hr quick dry thin set mortor going down center
of bathroom from toilet area and out to edges of walls working my way
right out of the bathroom. 2 hr.
WAIT 2 FULL HOURS
7. Mix grout with a latex additive and grout tiles around toilet area first then
finish grouting rest of floor sliding the plywood back out of the door way
and staying on the plywood until I am out of the bathroom. Wash down
floor to remove excess grout. 2 hrs.
8. Set up fan in bathroom and let sit overnight.
TOTAL TIME SO FAR=11.5 HOURS GOING NON STOP!
9. After 24 hours have gone by seal the grout. 1hr.
10. Lay plywood back over floor so it goes to the toilet.
11. Install toilet. 1/2 hr.
The longest time consuming item is the 24 hour period before applying the grout sealer. So in reality you can if you push it you can use the toilet on the second day in the evening. I had to do one of these quick jobs this year in black and white tile which I have posted on my web site. Of course you have to install you base molding whenever, but at least you can use the toilet. I leave the plywood on the floor to walk on for a day just to keep the dirt out of the freshly sealed grout.