(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: faucet base plate

Default faucet base plate

Hello,

I have a Delta faucet that was leaking at the hot water stem - replacing the O rings fixed that problem. However, I now see that water is also leaking out from under the base plate whenever the hot or cold tap is opened. I suspect this means the faucet is shot. Could someone please confirm this before I go out and buy a new one? Thanks for your help,

regards,

Dave

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

There are two O-rings under the barrel of the spout.
    Turn the water off, and replace those O-rings. I use a little plumber's grease or petroleum jelly for lube on them.
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, however I wasn't clear about the type of faucet.

I think you're referring to a swivel spout that is commonly used in a kitchen. What I have here is a plain jane bathroom sink faucet with separate hot and cold handles and a single fixed spout. When either hot or cold is turned on, water seeps out from under the base.

regards,

Dave

check the airater as leaking running down in side the faucet body if not
    replace it you be much happier in the long run.

You may not have completely tightened down the stems when you replaced the seals.
    If thats not it, there's a leak inside the faucet and it's time to get a new one, they aren't too expensive.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

You may not have completely tightened down the stems when you replaced the seals. If thats not it, there's a leak inside the faucet and it's time to get a new one, they aren't too expensive.

It must be the latter, I did sort of suspect that, so I'll just go ahead and replace it. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

regards,

Dave

Hello cwhyu2,

Sorry for the slow reply, I’ve been away.

Your advice about the aerator turned out to be correct! I had a closer look, and that's where the water was coming from. I removed the aerator and guess what? – the washer was missing. I had an O ring that “almost” fit, and that helped a lot, but didn’t completely stop the leak A trip to the hardware store for a replacement and voila – problem fixed! Thanks again for your suggestion.

Regards,

DaveU