subfloor -- toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

pman

Reaction score
i put down a subfloor, installed the tub and then found my floors are out of whach (actually my carpenter did this)...i need to level the floors with either mud or self leveler...how high above the finished floor must the pvc connectiont to toilet be? tks peter

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

NOrmaly about a 1/4" so the pipe is level with the top of the flange that will set on top of the finished floor. How do you get floors out of whack if the framing is done properly. It appears that the whole house would have to be off level for that to happen. If so, at least if you spill a bag of marbles you will know where to find them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is leave the pvc long, and then cut it off when you get the floor finished and are ready to set the toilet...this gives you options if you decide on say use tile rather than vinal.

pman

Reaction score
toilet flange issue

tks for responses...how did it get out of whack? the house is 100 years old and yes whole house out of whack...yes carp should have leveled it was his first responsiblity. does the fact the house is un level make a difference when using mud or self leveler? but bottom line just need an inch?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Tub Level

I would think that the floor unlevelness would have become apparent when the tub was set. I presume it is set level and plumb. When I level a floor I shim the upper layer of flooring. Leveler is expensive and the thin part is subject to breaking loose.

pman

Reaction score
leveling

meaning you would shim the concrete board on the floor a bit to level? what do u think about using 1/2 to 3/4 of thinset, setting the cbu in level?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Level cbu is good

thinset under the concrete board to level it is a good idea. I do shim under the boards. On ceramic floors leveling the cbu is a good idea.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
"Normal" thinset can be built up in layers, but normally can't be more than 1/4" in a layer. I would think that it would be really hard to get a thick wet layer of thinset under CBU that was installed properly - i.e., with nails or screws - getting them flush would cause the stuff to ooze out the edges while screwing it down. CBU will follow the curves of the floor under it if it isn't relatively flat in the first place. The thinset is only to fill in the small irregularities. Stone/marble thinset (medium set) can be used thicker than standard thinset.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is called "THINSET" for a reason!sd

Check with a good flooring installer for proper methods.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just another thought, I have lived with an old house which has nothing square or level, even new construction has been "blended" in to it would not look too out of wack. Just be sure your supporting structure is good and can handle your changes. You don't want to be making changes with an underlying problem to haunt you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks