1910 Kitchen issues

Users who are viewing this thread

yakpapa

Reaction score
Hello Lover's of Plumbing.
First off, I should say I am not a lover of plumbing, but a man's got to do...

So, here's my moderate dilemma. Please excuse my lack of terminology.

The T-junction on the 2" pipe did have a 90 degree elbow that came out through the drywall (after going through the stud on the left) which was the drain for the sink. (see pics)

So a few days ago the sink blocks up completely and no amount of anything was clearing it, so I ripped off the drywall and after some hassle (of course) discovered that the pipe had rotted away just to the left of the T-piece (you can see the threaded part that remains).

The three smaller pipes at the front are, from the left, hot water (which I have temporarily attached to the dishwasher), an old and defunct pipe, presumably cold water, and the copper pipe which is the present cold water.
These pipes are not my concern...unless you tell me otherwise!

Obviously I need a new drain outlet for the new sink (the blockage happened during a remodel, exactly when I didn't need it...because as we all know, there are times when you really do need a blockage https://terrylove.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Anyway, I would like to join the vent pipe which exits picture top right, in a less convoluted fashion to the drain, which comes in diagonally from bottom right. Ideally this would happen within a few inches to the right of the stud in the middle (due to dimensions of the new cabinets).

So my question is (if you are still following), how, and with what materials do I do this?

The vent goes out through the roof and is I think 2" galv.
My thought was to add a 90 degree after the 90 from the vertical vent pipe, and come down beside the stud on the right, and put in the appropriate T-piece to drain the sink and dishwasher, then continue down and join into the diagonally pipe just before it disappears into Hades!

Any and all responses appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,564

nh3

Reaction score
Well I'm not a plumber so I'll keep my thoughts to myself but I'm sure there are a few as with me wondering what the diagonal pipe terminates into down in Hades.

yakpapa

Reaction score
Ahhh, Hades, the 18" crawlspace that waits for unsuspecting neo-plumbers.

yakpapa

Reaction score
I misread your post, but I believe, by the fact that the crawlspace (Hades) is not permanently flooded, that the diag pipe ends up running to the main sewer.
I have now blocked up the open pipe with some rag to prevent incursions by denizens of Hades.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the waste and vents, you can switch over to ABS or PVC, depending on what your local hardware store sells.

The pipe at a 45 degree is not a problem. You can leave that angle, or change it. When going between steel and plastic waste, you can use a coupling like these.

proflex.jpg

It looks like you have 1-1/2" pipe now. The trap arm is normally 1-1/2", but if you can change to 2" in the wall where it drops into the tee, that would be better for the future, depending on whether you have a 2" below somewhere that you can run to.

Since the water supply is exposed, you should consider replacing at this time with new pipes.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would remove the 90 off the vent and repipe down into your basement.
You will want to cut the vent above the 90.
Then use a 2" tee wye to come out of the wall.

The three smaller pipes at the front are, from the left, hot water (which I have temporarily attached to the dishwasher), an old and defunct pipe, presumably cold water, and the copper pipe which is the present cold water.
These pipes are not my concern...unless you tell me otherwise!

Yes get rid of the old galv water lines. I'm sure you have more in your house so you should remove all of it. now is the time to fix and old plumbing

yakpapa

Reaction score

Thanks for the help guys, redoing all the pipes is pretty daunting, plus I need to go out and earn some money at some point, but I will bear it in mind.
The next thing I have to do is crawl (no basement) under and see what gives down below.
And hey, Terry, I see you live in WA. I'm in Portland and I know you want to pop down and knock this out for me 8)

I'll report back when I've had a look see

Last edited by a moderator:

yakpapa

Reaction score
update on Hades

Thanks chaps for giving me the needed impetus to do this.

I ended up coming from the vent pipe a couple of 90's and down where I needed to go.
Worked out nicely.
If the wall leaks after the drywall and cabinets go in, I will let you know
8)

Thanks again

yakpapa

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder :D
I was going to, and still shall.

Looks real purdy!

Again Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks