How to install dishwasher drain to double sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

TCiura

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kitchen and I am adding a dishwasher. Previously there was none. I know my local ACE hardware sell's a PVC branch with tail to attach dishwasher drain. My question is with a dual sink setup how do I attach the branch tailpiece and the horizontal PVC piece that connects both sinks? Does anyone have a diagram or website where I can see a diagram of the setup? Everything I find only has examples for a single sink setup.

Thanks for your help

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Livin4Real

Reaction score
If there is enough pipe after the trap (between sink trap and floor of cabinet) in the vertical section would be a good place to put a wye for the dishwasher.
That's how I plan on running the one I'm about to install in our remodel.

Wyoplumb

Master Plumber
Reaction score
do not install after the trap. It is possible to get sewer gas through your line and into your dishwasher which in turn you will get the gas in your kitchen area. You need to put the branch wye in before the trap. you may need to lower your waste outlets coming off of your sink strainer baskets.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
livin4real

Connecting it directly to the drain system, with or without a trap, is usually illegal because contamination in the DW could occur very easily under the right conditions.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
you will see diagrams aplenty, Tciura, so you will know that your trap is the last thing in the series.

what have you found so far? What material is your "tubular" made of. Tubular is one more good word to use in key word searches.

Tubular is the pipe stuff that repairpeople, handymen and handywomen are allowed to change out, without being licensed as plumbers.

david

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

This picture above is legal plumbing where they use the UPC plumbing code. Uniform Plumbing Code.

S-traps that go through the bottom of the cabinet like the drawings in the post above would not be legal in UPC country.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I give up, lol.That's bad when the manufacturer's drawings aren't right.

Now, after searching the archives here, the loop system was mentioned several times as being a good alternative but also not being code since alot of areas require the airgaps, some folks complaining about airgaps and water getting under them into the countertops. What's your opinions on the loop system? I also thought the new DW's have one-way check valves on the drain to keep bad stuff from getting in? I'm glad this thread came up cause I've learned alot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, check with the local code people...you may not have a choice. An air gap is a guaranteed way to install it safely. A high loop is a gamble...admittedly, a long-shot, but still a gamble on overall safety.

Sparky828

Reaction score
I'm going to tack onto this thread

Hello all. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of the correct terms. I hope my descriptions will paint an accurate picture.

I'm struggling with this issue as well. At present, I have two sinks, no disposal and a dishwasher that was draining on the wrong side of the trap. Each sink has a horizontal pipe that runs to a central piece that then sends the water vertically down to the j-bend. I tried to put the piece with the branch between the joining piece that drain from the sinks and the j-bend, but even after sawing down the bottoms of both the fitting and the branch piece, they are a maddening 1/2" too long for the j-bend to meet the . Now I see why my father-in-law put it where he did when he installed the dishwasher :)

Is it possible/legal to put the piece with the dishwasher branch in a horizontal position in place of one of the horizontal pieces before the join?

Here's the old configuration for reference:
sink.jpg

Thanks!

Sparky828

Reaction score
Yes it is legal, but you will have to use a Wye instead of a T

Thanks much for your response, and this where I further confirm my ignorance. I'm guessing the difference between a Wye and a T hinges on the angle at which the stem comes off of the tube. If that's what it is, then I think it's a Wye I have (the perspective in the picture above is misleading).

This is the piece I'm thinking of using (already partly cut in my previous attempt to fit it vertical):

2424470538_ffcee91574.jpg

Wye? Wye not?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That will work if you have enough space in the horizontal (probably the right side , judging by your original pic)

Gudtime

Reaction score
Terry..My Double Sink like above (minus the Disposer..) uses Copper Pipe. I got a Dishwasher Instal Kit with it, however it is only for a Single sink. Looking for the Best/Cheapest route.. I have seen Co.'s like Keeney showing the Dual Sink Drains w/ the Dishwasher Drain..(END OUTLET CONTINUOUS WASTES - WITH BAFFLE TEE - SLIP JOINT) Should I just Replace the existing Copper Pipes with ABS..or just go with a Wye and Adaptor in between the sinks ? Also, the supplied Hot Water Line is 60"..so I am about 40" too short..(Drain Hose is plenty long enough) This is a 'New Instal'..not a replacement..can I splice in another 40" with a 3/8 nipple..? Also..is this going to be too far of a Run for proper draining ? Didn't really want to remove cabinets to get closer !

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand if you have a disposal or not when you say,"minus the disposal". If you have a disposal, the dishwasher drains into it. There is a knock out plug in the side of the disposal where it goes. Be sure you remove the plug and not leave it inside. If you do not have a disposal, then you use the tee as shown in a couple of post back. Depending on where you live, an air gap may be required. The hose from the DW connects to one side of the air gap and a hose to the sink drain connects to the other side before the P trap. Somd places allow a high loop instead of an air gap, and in that event, the hose from the DW must be looped and attached under the counter so that the loop is higher than the DW. Make sure the hose will not kink where it is attached to the counter top. Then the hose goes to the drain as described above. An air gap is always legal, high loops are OK in just some places. As far as the supply line is concerned, you can splice onto the existing line or replace it with a single line that is long enough. I use a line that has the braided steel cover and attach it to the water supply with a 1/4 turn valve. Of course you are free to use whatever method you prefer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks