Kitchen Plumbing Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

MarcSavage

Reaction score
I am currently remodeling the kitchen and the next thing to do on the list is the plumbing. I would like to attempt it myself but I'll hire someone if I feel the job is too complex.

Issue #1
Looking at the picture Kitchen01 you can see the main stack, the 1 1/2" drain pipe and 1 1/4" vent pipe that serviced the single kitchen sink located under the window. The new double sink is going in the same location but I am now adding a dishwasher between the sink and the stack.

Q1: How do I connect the new 2" ABS drain line to the copper stack?

Q2: Can a new drain pipe be installed above floor level with the dishwasher now located in between the sink and the stack?

Q3: Assuming I have to run the new drain pipe below the kitchen floor in the joist cavity below this poses another problem. In the basement, the stack come through the kitchen floor tightly between 2 floor joists and so there is no room to connect my drain pipe. I would have to drop the pipe vertical for 12 inches using a 90deg elbow and make my connection to the stack just below the joist. Would the sharp 90deg elbow be a problem? (I'll post a picture later)

Issue 2#
As you can see from the picture Kitchen02, I've some work to do where the second story toilet, sink and shower connect to the stack. (Also in picture Kitchen01 near the ceiling) During my bathroom renovation last year didn't want to rip apart the kitchen below knowing I was going remodel the kitchen this year.
I temporarily connected every so would work but now I want to fix it up right. I tied the new 2" shower line and the new 1.5" sink line to the existing 1 1/2" brass wye at the stack. (I know I can't reduce like this) I also connected the toilet to the existing 3" line copper and replaced to top section of the stack to the roof with ABS.

I appreciate some feedback on how to connect everything up properly. Should I just rip all the copper out and redo everything in ABS?

Thanks

Marc Savage
Ottawa

Attachments

• Kitchen02.JPG
    Kitchen02.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 935
  • Kitchen1.JPG
    Kitchen1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
issue 1, Q2. and Q3. i think it's called a tailpiece (the drain you are asking about), and you want to run the tailpiece a longer distance than is usually installed. A tailpiece is above the floor, horizontal to the stack where it meets the stack with a San Tee. So, it seems to me that you can run the tailpiece behind the DW over to your stack in the corner.

BTW, i assume you won't be cramming the DW right into the corner...

david

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
MarcSavage said:
connected the toilet to the existing 3" line copper and replaced to top section of
Issue 2. Redo the toilet, to lower its drain down into the same plane as the shower and sink line, and redo the Wye (2x2x1.5) so that you can connect it to a big Wye (3x3x2) to pick up the toilet waste, and then add a 1/8 bend (45 degree) to get to the stack in the corner, where you need only one San Tee to connect that bathroom group into it.

I'd stay with copper, since you already have it. Less noise in the kitchen wall when people flush upstairs.

Other people can correct this or suggest other ways.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks