Removing tub spout and drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Lloyd

Reaction score
I am trying to replace old tub spout and drain in a one piece fiberglass tub and shower unit. When I try to unscrew the old Delta spout with a wrench it is obvious it will take a lot of force to turn it. I fear breaking something in the wall and/or the spout itself if I really force it. Any ideas?
Secondly, what sort of tool does one use to remove the drain from the same unit? Should I just call a plumber for these problems???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some spouts are held on with a set screw - don't know about yours. Did you check underneath it for one?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Jim's right. Some spouts have an allen head set screw on the underside. Some you just unscrew like a big nut. As a personal preference, I like the slip on spouts with the set screw. Makes for easier install initially and removal later on. As far as the drain goes, there is a tool we call a "dumbell" around here. It slips inside the drain and locks on allowing the user to either insert a screwdriver through it to turn or use a 10 or 12" adjustable wrench for turning. You can find these at most plumbing supply houses. Not sure about the big box stores. Getting the new drain started in the drain shoe can be a booger so be patient so as not to strip the threads. Strip them and you'll be kicking yourself in the tail. When you change out the drain assembly you might want to change out the gaskets between the drain shoe and the tub also (on the underside of the tub).

Good luck

dumbell_wrench.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks