(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping Romex Sheathing

Default Stripping Romex Sheathing

I thought I had a decent wire stripper, but I can't find a way to use it to strip the sheathing from Romex cable. I end up using a pocket knife to score it and carefully peal it back. That seems too labor intensive.

Can someone recommend a better stripping tool or a better approach?

Here's a pic of my Calterm stripper. (made in China).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

this is a NM cable stripper you can find at most hardware stores.

Thanks.

I'll definitely pick one of those up. What do you think of the Klein dual or single cable strippers?

Also, is there something out there that will work on tray cable? One of my customers bought an entire spool of it at a rummage sale and wants to use it to makes some runs. He can't find anyone who wants to work with that stuff.

The colors are different as well: Black, blue, and red instead of black white, and bare copper.

You can not use tray cable in a home.
    May be why he got it so cheap!
    Yes I am A Pirate-Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    Also, is there something out there that will work on tray cable? One of my customers bought an entire spool of it at a rummage sale and wants to use it to makes some runs. He can't find anyone who wants to work with that stuff.

The colors are different as well: Black, blue, and red instead of black white, and bare copper.
    Tray Cable (Type TC) is not permitted outside a raceway or cable tray system. NEC 336.12. I suppose if you wanted to run it in conduit it would be ok, but that would be a real pain in a residence.

The 3 colors indicate that it is intended for 3-phase service without an Equipment Grounding Conductor. Metal cable trays are sometimes used as the EGC, or a separate EGC is run in the tray.

You should also look at the Klein Tool model 1412. I love it and it is about $15 at most places. It's the best $15 i've spent in a while.
    Spaceman Spiff aka Mike

Buy these, they are the best investment you will make....

Default Bought a Croc's

The guy at the electrical supply place talked me into buying a $30.00 Croc's NM Stripper. It's supposed to strip 14/2 Romex on one side and 12/2 on the other, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. It does strip the insulation off 12 gauge wire easier than any other stripper I've ever used. I just need a lesson in stripping the Romex sheathing I guess.

BTW, I told the customer that I wouldn't touch the Tray Cable. I'm sure that when it's time to sell their house, the building inspector will not like all the work that he already did using that stuff.

i know the cdn code (table ??) states you cant use cable tray any where but tray but why?
    There is a thicker casing on tray cable then there is on NM so whats the reason, any idea???
    the more I learn the more I realise i dont know squat!

Default stripper

Why not spend a little more and get a "real" stripper. The "squeeze and pop" type.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    Why not spend a little more and get a "real" stripper. The "squeeze and pop" type.
    No one else has mentioned that type. Who makes it?

Everybody I know uses a razor knife.

Slice both sides and slip off the sheath.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    "Real" in who's eyes???? Any "real" electrician will tell you that would be wither a razor knife or the ones in Chris' picture.

If you mean these then you have no clue what is used in the real world. Maybe unless you are doing car stereo installs all day.

Default stripper

That is what is used in my real world, and car stereos do not usually use a #10 wire, or larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
    "Real" in who's eyes???? Any "real" electrician will tell you that would be wither a razor knife or the ones in Chris' picture.

If you mean these then you have no clue what is used in the real world. Maybe unless you are doing car stereo installs all day.

I find these things useless!
    To big to fit into the tight places.
    Yes I am A Pirate-Jimmy Buffett