3 easy questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

FrankPlumber

Reaction score
Hello!

I have 3 easy questions for you :

1. The 4 inches stack is often behind the water closet which means the elbow underneath the toilet goes toward the back of the toilet. Can the elbow go in any direction example side, front???

2. When the 3'' pipe of the toilet runs at the horizontal and you want to make a 90 degree turn, do you have to use two 45 degrees or 1 long 90 degree elbow is legal?

3. Finally are the use of long elbow and the long Y fittings for all size of pipe is legal?

Thanks a lot

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1. Definitely, in fact I install more with the stack offset than I do with it behind the toilet. Some plumbers always put it behind the toilet because, "That's the only way they have always done it".

2. Either way because the two are equivalent.
3. About the only fittings that have restricted use are sanitary tees and short elbows.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
#2. I've read on another site that there are some juristictions that will not allow a 90 degree fitting except as a closet bend, even though 2 45's are equivalent to a long turn 90. I don't remember those locations, I want to say they were in the northern mid west or canada.

If FrankPlumber would give his location it might help.

#3. I've never heard of these being illegal but you might check anyway. I've been wrong before.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
We use short 90's in 3 places.
Closet bends, horizontal to vertical & when it's the only fixture or first fixture on a horizontal drain (lav arm, Kitchen drain....etc.)

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Closet bends, horizontal to vertical & when it's the only fixture or first fixture on a horizontal drain (lav arm, Kitchen drain....etc.)

How about vents? Or do you spend the big bucks and use vent 90's, lol.

FrankPlumber

Reaction score
Thanks guy

Actually I'm from Canada, province of Quebec

GrumpyPlumber you wrote

Do you mean you can use short 90's for closet bend when you are horizontal or it' only when you go from horizontal to vertical?

And for the remaining, if I understood well, you can't use short 90 when you want to do horizontal bent?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks