double sink problem tailpiece drain

Users who are viewing this thread

missing

Reaction score
hello,

i am re-plumbing the pipes under the kitchen sink. the house was built in 1946, it is a double sink going to a single wall drain whick terminates into a leaded galvanized 2 inch pipe into cast iron.

from the bottom of the sink to the drain is 5 inches, the kitchen drains are 18.5 inches apart from center to center. i have tried all kinds of screw together pvc fittings to drain the sinks. no joy, they all leak. i replaced with glue together pvc, 1.5 inch, all is fine, except at teh tailpiece on the drain closest to the service drain into the wall. i screwed it down snugg and water then leaked from the tailpiece and the part that is screwed to the pvc glue joint. i thought okay, try another piece, no joy same thing. any suggestions would be appreciated at this point. is there a way to glue a tailpiece of pvc to the bottom of the sink and remedy this problem, or do i need to tear into the wall and replace the pipe to a level that all the drainage is farther downhill. thanks in advance. i have pictures if that would help.

Last edited:

missing

Reaction score
Pictures

hello,

sorry for the confusion,

what i have here is a sink side by side. tailpiece down on one side connects to a elbow that goes into a t piece connected to the other side tailpiece, which connects to a p trap, which is connected to the drain in the wall. i have removed the dishwasher piece that you see in the picture. consider it just too tail pieces connecting to pvc, via the screw together type connectors. trying to resize a photo to post.

missing

Reaction score
Pictures

here they are

Attachments

• small-DSCN6607.jpg
    small-DSCN6607.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 664
  • small-DSCN6608.jpg
    small-DSCN6608.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 717
  • small-DSCN6609.jpg
    small-DSCN6609.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 627
  • small-DSCN6610.jpg
    small-DSCN6610.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 735

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You do have a problem, but it is that the pipe in the wall may be too high to make a proper installation. A Chrome plated brass "hi-line" end outlet waste might raise the horizontal pipe above the pipe in the wall, but it would be marginal. With your situation, I would install a "Y" at the wall and then pipe to two separate "P" traps, one for each sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks