Pipe for exterior gasline

Users who are viewing this thread

jerseybob

Reaction score
We have propane to heat our house. I want to connect the gas grill to the mainline. I would be running the pipe under the deck to grill using a quick disconnect from the end of the pipe to the grill. I would use a gas cock at the end of the pipe run.
I have two questions.
1. What type of pipe should I use for the exterior line, galvanized, black or something else?
2. Is there such a thing as a quickdiconnect hose that is flexible, I mean flexible like an air hose, not the typial gooseneck connection on a stove or dryer.

TIA

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In our area the gas companies use copper or the yellow coated stainless. Yes there are flexible lines, like an air hose, available.

You may be best advised to let your local gas company do the job.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
www.mbsturgis.com sells some nice hoses and quick connects. They sell direct and are the supplier to some of the better grill companies. I bought one from them for a new grill install.

Molo

Reaction score
Why is ther no discussion of the dangers of flex line for an exterior application that PEW said his local gas companies use? Seems like that would be quite dangerous.
Also, Is it allowable to run black iron outside (along the bottom of siding, or under a deck like in this instance)?

TMB9862

Reaction score
Check your local codes for running black iron outside. Around here is has to be galvanized or trac-pipe.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Wet_Boots said:
Galvanized pipe for gas? I never see that.
We don't either, on the idea that the coating can fleck and clog the fixtures, but in other stes black is as ludicrous to them, because using black outside has to be painted.

molo said:
trac ipe outside seems dangerous as it is easily punctured.
There are three conditions the have to be met all at once for sheilding CSST - when it's within 3 inches of a nailing surface, hidden from view & clipped or passing through a hole where it can't flex.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Galvanized is the requirement here for exposed lines, although the utility uses black and paints them. Flexible gas line either has to be buried 24" or encased in a protective sleeve.

R

Rancher

jerseybob said:
I would be running the pipe under the deck
"under the deck" is that is a concrete deck, then the pipe needs to be inside a 2" pvc pipe and vented.

Rancher

Molo

Reaction score
hj said:
Galvanized is the requirement here for exposed lines, although the utility uses black and paints them. Flexible gas line either has to be buried 24" or encased in a protective sleeve.

What kind of paint do they use to paint the black iron?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Molo,

Propane companies in our area will provide a short flexible hook up from the regulator to the grill. If memory serves me right, they are about 8 feet long and will allow the grill some movement on a deck or patio. Looks like a slightly oversized air line.

jerseybob

Reaction score
gas line

The deck is wood and open from underneath, the underside is about 2 feet above grade.
I'm in central New Jersey. If I can't use black pipe nor galvanized what other options are there. Should this even be done at all? I know of other people in my area that have done it, it doesn't mean they have done it by code.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Check with your local codes, I would be very surprised is black iron, or galvanized would not be acceptable. I have seen both used by propane gas companies in Delaware / Maryland both indoors and out.

There was a time that nat gas required black pipe. From talking to an engineer at Phila Gas Works, that time has long passed us by. But, you will still find areas of the country which have not written black pipe out of their codes for nat gas.

FredC

Reaction score
Gas under deck

Under my elevated wood deck in Georgia the gas company used copper on the that attached to the underside of the joist, away from the nailing surface. About 3 feet from the end, a flexible poly line with 2 compressor like fittings that came with the grill we bought was attached. The line was only 8ft long and offered a little movement for cleaning the deck but not a much else. I would have preferred a rigid pipe under the deck with the same poly attach line, a valve, and one of those new safety flow limiters that prevents totally unrestricted flow.

FredC

Construct30

Reaction score
Anyone that has to ask should have a service person who knows about gas do the job and just assist him or her. Gas goes boom when people play with it.

mark

Molo

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the local building inspector, he said 1" black iron, painted, is ok outside here. (ny state) (we only discussed 1", and he told me to secure it to the house every 24-32")

R

Rancher

toolaholic said:
Where I live ,NO gas under deck . No gas undedr concrete
Where do you live? I specifically asked the building inspector how to do it, 3/4" black pipe inside a 2" pvc open at both ends and vented to the outside.

So I guess where you live there either are no slab on ground homes or you don't have homes with kitchens with islands that have gas burners.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks