Replacement mixer valve body too big for wall space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa99

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post, so be gentle I'm sure this will be a question that six months from now I'll look back and wonder how I could ever have been so dumb! :)

I'm wanting to replace 1980s era PF bath/shower fixtures and mixer valve with new Delta parts. The wall is open and I know how to cut out the old valve and solder in a new one, but what I can't figure out is how to find a mixer valve body that will fit in the available wall space.

It's 2x4 framing that can't be made bigger. The old valve body is 3" but the new Delta unit has a valve body that is 5 1/2"....so...how do I find a mixer valve that will fit in a 2x4 wall opening?

Thanks...I know it's a dumb question, but after hours of research on the internet I had to cry Uncle and ask the experts.

Thanks for your help!
Lisa

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
are you sure you are holding it the right way? Why would a manufacturer make a device that took up 6 inches of depth? When I installed my thermostatic valve the biggest space needed was side-to-side, not front-to-back, and it was a big 3/4" device.

since i am not a Delta person, that is all i can say to help you out.

david

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I know Grohe is 6-11/16" from side to side but only 2-7/8" high.
but thier pressure balanced is 3-3/4" wide and 4 1/2" high.

Lisa99

Reaction score
Knew I was going to eventually have a "DOH" in this thread.

I was measuring the full width rather than to the edge of the part that sits flush with the wall...thanks you guys for answering; it prompted me to re-read the installation instructions more closely.

Now let's just hope I don't burn the house down as I solder the parts (yes I have a thermal blanket and will put a wet towel over the joints that I don't want to melt!! :D

Thanks again,
Lisa

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks