replace toilet flange on concrete floor

Users who are viewing this thread

shiftyc

Reaction score
How does one replace a broken toilet flange on a concrete floor? What tools are needed? Should this be done by a professional plumber only?--Thanks, Bob

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
toilet flange...

Some of the regular pro's will chime in when they log on in the morning...
More info will help.Is the broken flange plastic or metal that has rusted away?
Tile or vinyl on the floor?
There are repair flanges available but not for every situation.You will have to break out the concrete around the flange to replace it.Your own abilities and experience using tools will determine if you can tackle this yourself...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Two questions.
Is the flange cast iron?
When you look down into the flange, does the 90 elbow start directly below or is there a small amount of distance?
...a pic might help.

shiftyc

Reaction score
broken flange

The flange is plastic and unlevel. It's broke on one side where the bolt slides in. There is no tile or linoleum. Carpeting is laid up to outer edge of old bowl. Does the flange have to be cut out? What tool/tools are needed? Thanks

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'd wait for a pro. My approach to the problem would be to sawzall the old flange off and buy a replacement flange that fits inside the pipe and with allen screws compresses itself into place.

I'd check before I cut the flange off that the new replacement flange will fit in the pipe.

Again I'd wait for a pro to chime in.

Tom

shiftyc

Reaction score
Grumpy,

The flange is plastic and I believe it goes directly into the 90 degree elbow, but I'm not on the site at this moment so I can't be 100 % sure. I'd have to eyeball it again to be sure.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot you'd answered the material question.
The reason I asked, IF the flange isn't directly on a 90 (elbow), it can be cut with an id cutter.
Thats a cutting wheel on a shaft that attaches to a drill and is small enough to fit inside the pipe.
If the flange is close, or glued into a 90, may have to break out the rotary.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The next question is why isn't it level? Is the 90 tilted wrong? What would he do here?

If the 90 is tilted wrong then he would want to open the floor and fix it. Cutting the 90 out and replacing it and the flange. Whom ever installed the toilet could have cranked the bolt hard and bent that one side of the flange and cracking it. I'm just giving it a guess because I can't see it.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
statjunk said:
Can he use the adaptor that I'm describing?

Tom

I wouldn't on 3", constricts the drain size.
Also, in my usual form, I missed the part about the flange not being level.
If it's only out by 1/8" it's workable, if it's out by 3/4" it's time to get out the rotary hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks