grounding question

Users who are viewing this thread

cab

Reaction score
I have my main panel grounded through two ground rods buried underground outside my house. When I put in my submersible well pump the other day, I had a lug welded onto the outside of the well casing (steel, 100 feet into bedrock)below ground and ran a ground wire from the well casing into the house. As I understand it, the well casing is a better ground than the two rods I currently have. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to disconnect the present ground wire and change over to the one coming from the well casing. Or, would it be ok to connect both at the ground connection at the panel?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Should you install a grounding electrode conductor for 100 feet underground to the metal well casing the 100 feet of conductor, assuming that you would use a bare #6, would be a better grounding electrode that the well casing and rods together.

Land the equipment grounding conductor that is ran with the circuit feeding the pump, again assuming that you have a submersible pump, and this will do about as much as a #6 in the same place.

cab

Reaction score
Let me repeat my question with more detail...

Currently, there are two ground rods in the ground outside my home which are connected to my service panel and function as the ground for my home electrical system.

I have a 180 foot well with 100 feet of steel casing. There is a submersible pump installed. At the top of the casing, about 3 foot underground, I had a lug welded to the casing. I ran a #6 bare copper wire from this lug on the steel well casing underground to the house. I have three options and would like to know which will provide the best grounding system:

1) forget the ground connected to the well casing and use the current system of two ground rods.

2) wire the ground from the well casing into the main panel along with the ground from the two ground rods.

3) wire the ground from the well casing into the main panel. Disconnect the current ground wire from the two ground rods....

Which is best?

Thanks...

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I would pick # 2 as well, but I really would not have wasted my money on doing what you did, 2nd thing is, your required to bond the well casing to the well pump circuit equipment grounding conductor...

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
cab said:
1) forget the ground connected to the well casing and use the current system of two ground rods.
Now that you have the #6 at the house use it. As far as the rods they MUST be used

cab said:
2) wire the ground from the well casing into the main panel along with the ground from the two ground rods.
This is the proper way to make this installation

cab said:
3) wire the ground from the well casing into the main panel. Disconnect the current ground wire from the two ground rods....
All grounding electrodes that are present MUST be used and this will include the rods

cab said:
Which is best?

Thanks...
I guess that #2 is the ONLY opinion you have at this point

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
More is always better in this case..................Can't hurt to have as much in the ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks