Did I kill the engine forever?

Users who are viewing this thread

DVMSteve

Reaction score
Hi, folks:

I'm sure that I could find a small engine forum somewhere out there, but like Terry says: "All you need is Love"! Other than the possible exception of John Bridge's tile forum (whose members led me to this site way back when, BTW) I've never found a greater group of guys and gals.

OK, to the question... I took the spark plug out of my chipper/shredder machine so that I could replace it and fire the thing up for the first time in maybe 2-2.5 years. In so doing, I also took the tarp off of it. Then got involved in lots of other projects, blah blah blah and forgot about the thing. For a couple of weeks. On this machine (5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine) the spark plug sits right on top. Several rain storms, lots of humidity, lots of sun. I looked at it today for the first time in a while, with some trepidation. It wasn't rusted solid, but there is a gurgling rusty orangish brown liquid bubbling up from the cylinder when I pull the starter cord slowly.

Worth trying to repair?

Steve

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get a small tube like a straw and suck out as much water as possible then...

Get a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and dump in an ounce or 2 and crank it over with out the plug in it a bunch of times till the oil is gone then do it again.

When all the oil you poured in the engine is gone put in a fresh plug and fire it up.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Cass said:
Get a small tube like a straw and suck out as much water as possible then...

Get a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and dump in an ounce or 2 and crank it over with out the plug in it a bunch of times till the oil is gone then do it again.

When all the oil you poured in the engine is gone put in a fresh plug and fire it up.

... after also changing the oil in the crankcase!

You likely did not hurt that engine, but there is probably water in the oil.

DVMSteve

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I've never heard of Marvel Mystery Oil, but I searched the web and I should be able to find it at one of several places tomorrow (Sunday), although the cross reference was interesting. Turtle Wax's web site said that it should be findable at a whole slew of places. Searching the ones that are actually in my area, the only one whose web site had info on this stuff (Napa) is closed on Sundays.

A few calls before I head into the big town should be helpful. Worth a try to get this thing running again, so that I can clear the area for my barn, where I'm putting the water heater that you guys have been advising me on!

Regards,
Steve

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
... after also changing the oil in the crankcase!

You likely did not hurt that engine, but there is probably water in the oil.

I was assuming that would be done and forgot what happens when I assume things.:)

DVMSteve

Reaction score
With me it IS better to assume that I know nothing (and engines are possibly the subject about which my ignorance is the greatest). In this case, however, I would have changed out the oil.

I'm planning a trip in to town today to pick up some stuff, and will hopefully find some Marvel Mystery Oil. Are there suitable alternatives?

Steve

DVMSteve

Reaction score
Update:

Got some Marvel stuff and tried it. Also used some ether starting fluid. It fires up, but just burns the ether. Doesn't look like its getting any gas, so it is a 'take a bunch of stuff apart' type of fix to try to clean out the fuel lines and carbuerator. Not my cup of tea, but I think I'll take it to a small engine guy 'cause I think it's worth fixing for a little $$. New ones like I have are about $600-700. Anything decent is a whole lot more.

Thanks again,
Steve

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Probably a good move with taking it to a small engine guy. More than likely, he'll tell you the engine is shot from the water...dont buy that! If it ran on the starting fluid, it should be fine. (dont run it too many times on starting fluid...ether washes the oil off the cylinder and rings). More than likely what he will have to do to make it run is disassemble the carb, clean it out, and the small screens on the pick up and return tubes going into the gas tank are probably covered in deposits and rust. Then he'll replace the little rubber pumping diaphram that is under the rectangular cover on the side of the carb. If the rust that came out was from the rings and cylinder lining rusting, it will run ok, but will probably use oil now... keep an eye on the oil when youre using it! Sometime in the future you might need a ring job, but I would use it and not worry. Good luck!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Clean out the fuel supply lines and replace any fuel filters and try starting it B 4 taking it to a shop.

Because of the starting spray you used put a little Marvel in the cylinder B 4 starting and turn it over a few times B 4 attempting to start again, it is a good lube for the rings.

Be sure you are getting spark, have someone hold the bottom of the plug with wire on it 1/16-1/32" away from cylinder head while you turn it over and check for spark in the gap.

Be sure they are insulated from the plug or they will know if the plug is working :D

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You can always get a replacement engine - I bought a new 5 HP Briggs Intek engine for a bit over $100 delivered, on an **** auction.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Nope...lol!!! Ground the plug firmly to the engine...you wont need to be insulated! Watch the gap for a spark...which is obvious that you have since the engine runs on the starting fluid! If you hold the plug away from ground on an enngine that has electronic ignition, not only will you light your ass up, but you will fry the triac, which is a device sealed within the coil that helps the magnetron coil to provide spark! Thats why if you read your manual, they will always tell you to "ground" the plug lead...not just diconnect it when testing. Trust me. I dont know much, but I do know engines!

Cass said:
Clean out the fuel supply lines and replace any fuel filters and try starting it B 4 taking it to a shop.

Because of the starting spray you used put a little Marvel in the cylinder B 4 starting and turn it over a few times B 4 attempting to start again, it is a good lube for the rings.

Be sure you are getting spark, have someone hold the bottom of the plug with wire on it 1/16-1/32" away from cylinder head while you turn it over and check for spark in the gap.

Be sure they are insulated from the plug or they will know if the plug is working :D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
O.K. I trust you since I am going by what I used to do 25-30 years ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks