Lantern Style lights outside. Work box?

Users who are viewing this thread

sandyman720

Reaction score
I am going to have outdoor lantern style lights on the outside of my addition by the side of the sliding patio door.

New construction. Do I cut a hole and then install a work box at the location or do I do something else? :confused:

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Box in the wall...light attaches to the box. Make sure to anchor the box well.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
sandyman720 said:
Should I get a circular box or a regular rectangle workbox?

314.27 Outlet Boxes.
(A) Boxes at Luminaire (Lighting Fixture) Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire (lighting fixture) or lampholder outlets shall be designed for the purpose. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire (lighting fixture) may be attached.

Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire (fixture) weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the luminaire (fixture) or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Depends on the fixture. A surface mounted pan box is the easiest IF the fixture will cover it.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Alectrician said:
Depends on the fixture. A surface mounted pan box is the easiest IF the fixture will cover it.

And there is enough cubit inches in the box for the conductors that enter it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks