(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a phone line and need help.

I have over 100 pics and 30 min of video. As far as the access to my land they will get it by appointment only until I know whatís going on.

As far as my fence it will be moved back about 10 more feet so I can keep the wire 4 feet on the out side of my fence.

m p mark
    With out a right away and if I fight this all the way out Iím looking at the leas of the land for 10 years where that line was buried. As far as getting the line fixed I was told that in 31 days to go dig up one end and get out the chain.

Right now all Iím looking for is all of my expenses. If they would of just come out fixed the line and painted the ground where it was it would of all been over with and I would not care.

How SUWEEET it is!
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

DIY Junior Member

Thumbs up phone line

Got Nailed.
    I am on your side. I work in the communications industry (fiber).
    I place one-calls, engineer routes and even watch crews install it all the time.
    I will assume this is a copper cable that you hit. No biggie. Be glad it was not fiber....someones head would roll (not yours)...the locators.

I noticed you said no right-of-way exists but I would check to see if thier was an easement/ utility easement or anything that shows up on your deed...more specifically on your title. If thier is nothing then you have the phone company. You should be able to have the cable moved off your property or grant them an easement for some $. Depending on how many linear feet I would think they would be more inclined to go after an easement.

Good-luck
    Shawn

They were putting in the cable as I was building my house. No one told me anything about the cable and at the time I didnít know it was on my land. With over 120 acres I didnít know what was mine and what was not. The line has only been there 4 years.

It is a copper bundle. The thing that dose get me is that now I have 2 splice boxes 20 feet apart.

There is nothing on my title except for the power line (above ground) that feeds my house. According to all of the county records the phone line should be next to and under the gravel road. The only record of the phone line was the utility map.

There is over a mile of there cable on my land. When they remarked the cable out it weaves in and out of a fence I put in a few years ago.

why is it a "stinking easement"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaruss
    It also depends on how long the telephone cable has been there, if it's over 7 years, they don't don't need no stinking easment.

Russ

Sounds like good news. Is this still the same attorney that originally said you'd be paying for everything?

There is over a mile of there cable on my land. When they remarked the cable out it weaves in and out of a fence I put in a few years ago.
    nice
    they had to get around your polls
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

They didnít go around my fence pools but the fence is straight and when they put the cable in the cable was not put down straight. The cable had been down for a year or so before that fence went up. Mss Utilities was way off when they marked the wire for when I put that one up. I will never trust Mss Utilityís anion and will be calling a privet company to mark lines for me from now on.

Yes it was the lawyer that said that I would have to pay for it all. But this was said before all the facts were in.

I went down to my PO Box and I got the bill for the repair $7,589.74. I faxed it over to my lawyer and will get a call back on what to do with it today or Monday.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by got_nailed
    I got the bill for the repair $7,589.74.

Fight like mad hell on this one. Also, this would be a good time for Mad Plumber to give us his opinion on dez matters.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Good luck to you; in the end I hope everything works out in your favor. In case anyone was wondering, the repair bill for the last fiber optic bundle we hit was over $50K.

I was talking about this last night to a buddy who is an attorney and he made a really good point: what are the chances that a homeowner would understand the liability issues and the potential costs to make repairs.

I'm not a big fan of "what if" scenarios, but what if that cable had been in the ground for over seven years and the locator missed it? What if it had been fiber optic cable (it's not like they use a different a different shade of orange to paint it on the ground). What if it had been a high voltage line or a high pressure gas line? The answers range from "you're dead" to "that'll be $50K".

Although a lot has been done to drive home the need for utility clearance, I don't think much has been done to explain the liability issues, particular to individual homeowners.

-Sam

Rugged this one is going to court unless they make me happy. The cable is on my property and has no legal right to be there. There off there right away is between 10 to 20 feet. Iím sure there are spots that it is off by more but I havenít walked the whole line yet.

Quote Originally Posted by got_nailed
    Rugged this one is going to court unless they make me happy. The cable is on my property and has no legal right to be there. There off there right away is between 10 to 20 feet. Iím sure there are spots that it is off by more but I havenít walked the whole line yet.
    I'd have the pics in hand ready to head for the local paper, news.
    If they so much as murmer a word of that 7500 being on you, I'd jump on it along with pics of the paint and hole dug.
    Also, question comes to mind, do your pics make the location clear relative to your property line?
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

My pics make the property line, where the cable was said to be, and where the cable is more than perfectly clear.

As far as the local paper they have called me and are coming on Saturday to look at everything and they might do a story on it and will land it in the paper. Having this in the paper would not be what I want depending on how it all turns out.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Default Here's what you do

If the newspaper is coming to check it out.....and you know they messed up....

If you don't have little kids, rent them. Have them there with your wife and make them peel onions and send them outside when the cameras are rolling.

Tell them that little timmy and samantha might not have a christmas if these people do this to you and your family. And when you start crying, start crying real loud like your choking and snorting like you can't stop so they have to pull the camera away because it's too disturbing to watch and that somebody might you tube it to really make the utility marking company regret what they did to this poor family.

Do it!
    Last edited by Dunbar Plumbing; 09-14-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Rugged...LOVED your response! Fighting phone company recently on repairs to my phone line, which they swear I should pay for! My phone works great until it rains! Guess I got lucky...burried cable was found on my property without an easement or right away granted...has been here since the 1980's! I refused to sign a right of way until my own phone line is fixed! Then they offered to buy the easement...says that there are 27 phones on the burried cable, and relocating the line is uneconomical! I told them, not my problem...your problem! Fix my phone line, then we will talk! I actually got 4 phone numbers to 4 techs, covering all three shifts, and next time it rains, Im suppose to call all 4 of them! They said they would fix my line regardless, and after it is fixed, we will meet to discuss the PURCHASE of their right of way! Guess it depends on where youre at, and how big of an ass youre willing to make of yoruself! In my case, I notified them that 300 feet of cable, plus the above ground splice boxes could be picked up in a neat pile stacked beside my driveway if my phone wasnt fixed to my satisfaction!