Delta "thermostatic" worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bosun

Reaction score
In my new basement shower I am planning to install a Delta with the two dials--one for temp, one for pressure. I noticed that the Thermostatic valves are costly. Worth it? Why?

MoenMan

Reaction score
It is worth it but it's not worth it to buy Delta. Are you setting up some sort of Verticle Spa what are you wanting this shower to do? You just want to be able to have temperature and volume control? You want a hand held or body sprays?

Bosun

Reaction score
Single Head shower

I'm just doing a single head shower--I'd like to have the separate volume and temp controls. Perhaps I can do that w/o getting the Thermostatic valve.

Why not Delta? I've heard they are pretty good for shower valves w/o spending tons of money. FWIW, my wife is insisting on a Kohler "Purist" faucet for the sink, but I don't really care if they match.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

As far as I am concerned Delta is the best for your application. I assume you mean the 1700 series when you talk about two handles. You can install the thermostatic valve into that same body as long as you are using the "Universal" body. Thermostatic costs more because there is more to it, than a simple hot/cold lever.

MoenMan

Reaction score
Of course I will have to disagree on the Delta, it's not that I dislike them in any way, it's just the potential problems you will run into are much more present in Delta thermostatic valves. Stay away from Kohler whatever you do I will say that. If your going for cost wise then yes Delta is the way to go, but I assure you with thier limited warranty you will run into some "obstacles" later on down the line. You pay the money for the best you get the best. To be perfectly honest with you Moen doesn't make something cost effective for what you want so I would in this case go Delta for what you ar asking for.

And the gentleman above is 100% accurate, you are going to be paying for the thermostatic aspect of the valve, they are the most expensive because they are pretty much what's the top of the line now a days when it comes to Tub/Shower or Verticle Spas when you throw in a transfer valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've been very happy with the Grohe thermostatic valve. It's only been a few years, I may change my mind in the long term. The body of the thing, though is built like a tank...must weigh close to 10# of solid brass. It's an integrated tub/shower, external mount device, so there's more substance to it than most.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks