Do not put lettuce down ur garbage disposal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a call recently from a woman who said her dishwasher won't drain. At some point in the conversation, she said her garbage disposal hadn't worked for over a year!

Examination of the G/D showed that the reset button had popped, but now it was frozen solid with rust. It was a brand new looking G/D and, a year ago, all she had to do was push a button and maybe use the hex wrench that came with it for a few seconds. It's trash now--replaced by a DW branch tee.

BTW, the DW drains perfectly now.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
It is so nice to have a disposer that you never use and wonder why that side of the sink doesn't drain:rolleyes:
I like to flip the switch and say you need to turn this on every now and then:D

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Now I know you all going to blast me for this.Allways leave instructions
with custemer.Also show then how to use the wrench.
And the reset butten.

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
Disposal...

why do people think they can put anything down a GD?Had a wealthy client's wife in Vegas who dumped a quart sized bottle of dried rice down the garbage disposal.Liked the bottle but didn't eat rice!Took 2 plumbers 6 hours to root out the pipes.($500+)
What is wrong with using a garbage can?
Wonder what the percentage of service calls are related to people being stupid/lazy when it comes to disposals...

Nate R

Reaction score
In all seriousness, what CAN you put down a disposal? And how much volume/week does that realistically end up being?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Like the lady said do not put leafy stuff in .Ihad a lady shuck 5ears of corn
husks into her desposer and we spent 2.5 hrs rodding out a 2" stack from the 2nd fl kitchen.Allways have the water running when using your desposer.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nate R said:
In all seriousness, what CAN you put down a disposal? And how much volume/week does that realistically end up being?
For your typical 1/3 HP Badger G/D, you shouldn't put down onion or potato peelings, or even large amounts of other peelings like carrots, lettuce, cabbage, oranges, etc.. Avoid dumping large amounts of rice and beans, and don't try to put down any kind of bones or corn cobs or corn husks. You should be able to rinse your plate (minus the bones) without any trouble.

The larger, more powerful units, are much more forgiving. But, keep in mind, even if your G/D does a good job of cutting the stuff up, it still may eventually clog up your drain, especially in double-bowl sinks, where you have baffled tees.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
geniescience said:
never seen one in use. I have never even heard one being used in any house i have ever been in.

AFAIK, i know nobody who uses one. Most don't have one.

david
I don't think they're needed much in the North Pole, where you're at. They do tend to be pretty popular down here in North America. LOL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In new homes, I would say the 99% have them.
I would always have one in the kitchen.

Making sure you run enough water with them helps too.
One Thanksgiving, we met at my mothers home, and someone started putting potato peels down without running water.
It was the only time the kitchen plugged in it's 55 year history.
It had the ISE 777 1 hp disposer, but it still needed the water to float it down the line.
We pulled the trap and everything, but it was packed tight.
No kitchen sink for that Thanksgivine.
We had 40 people over too.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
just had a to unjam a disposer the other day. The home owner dropped a glass into her sink and it broke, well a piece of glass jammed the disposer. she knew nothing about the wrench that came with it. Then wanted a guaranty that it would not jam again. This is a new kitchen. Everything is brand new counters, sink, walls, and they install a Badger 5 for the disposer. The water pressure at the kitchen sink is poor. The plumber who install this should have known better, but I'm sure he installed what the owners wanted. I told her she is going to have alot of problems with it and should remove it. Her answer was "they are going to drill a new well"

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I never had a disposal until I moved to my present house. After fifty years of no disposal and then hearing stories of what not to put in one I just never use the one I have. It is an Insinkerator but I have no idea of the model.

I'm seriously thinking of taking the silly thing out.

Someday I want to replace the counters and sink but until that time I think it best to just get rid of the disposal.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Terry and Patrick touched on the key.
Run water whenever it's on, I dump almost everything down mine with not one problem, but I also have excellent water pressure/volume.
I also ice it periodically.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One handy reason to have them

Dump rocky road icecream in a regular sink basket, and have the walnuts gather at the bottom, waiting to be scooped out with your fingers.

Or, dump it down the disposer, and flick the switch.
Brrrrrrrrrrr,, Gone!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I have heard of all sorts of g/d mantaintnace baking soda and all of the
above WD 40 doesnt hurt.Itdoes need to be run sometimes.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Having a 3/4 or greater hp you should not have many problems. Feeding the questionable items down slowly will keep things working well. Keeping pocket change out of it is a good idea also.

I had a customer treat a G/D like a trash can."but it's a "garbage" disposer" they said. "You know like "garbage can".

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you go to the Insinkerator web site, their new top of the line unit says you can put just about anything down them, including bones, pineapple tops, etc.

Even the old ones do one thing well - eggshells.

Mort

Reaction score
I recently put in one of their Evolution disposals. Replaced a model 777 that was still working fine but the gasket was torn and I figured if I had to yank the thing out to replace the gasket it was hardly worth taking a chance of it continuing after a good eight years. The Evolution is supposed to do corn cobs, celery, bones, small children or much anything else. Haven't tried any of that other than celery.....worked good. This thing is so quiet that you really have to pay attention that you don't leave it on by mistake. Good stuff.

Mort

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks