Moving drain lines and water lines for pedestal sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckVA

Reaction score
Recently, we had to re-do a bathroom due to floor rot...

Well, after the floor and sub were replaced and tiled, the wife got a wild hair that we (I) would tear out the cabinet sink and install a nice pedestal sink.

Here's the issue...and I tried explaining it to the wife before she bought the sink without measuring it....but she's dead-set on it...so bear with me fellas.

Moving these lines (drainage and water) to line up to the pedestal should be pretty simple, right?. I mean 'simple' as in cutting out the wall and doing L bend attachments on them....

On the right side of the sink...the wall is the outer wall of a corner shower stall...so augmenting that wall is not an option.

Any simple fixes anyone could suggest to maybe eliminate the need to move the drainage line and have it still look attractive?

Thanks,

--C

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuckVA

Reaction score
Ian,

Thanks.

I know...I know....

I got one of those 'wife' things...and though she has not come home yet from the friend's house with the kids....I know she will say:

"What if someone is sitting on the commode? They'll see it then."

Thoughts?

--C

ChuckVA

Reaction score
...ya know what Ian,

I just went back in there to stare at it and I have 1/2 inch of playroom. When I take off the 3 inch black rubber extension put on by the previous homeowner, it just might work....and if I paint it all green, it will be camo-d.

I think it'll work...it just might work....its got-ta work, Jim...its our only hope!

Thanks man,

--C

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
If you're opening the wall...do it right and block where the basin secures, then bolt the basin in on finish.
Toggle bolts don't cut it.
Imagine a 3 year old dangling on it.
Also, standard height on the drain should be about 21" from finish floor...water lines should be an inch or two higher and spread enough to give you room to work on the drain.
Look for a "washington trap" from a local supplier (Chrome plated)...use sleeved chrome brasscraft angle stops.
Pedastils are difficult to connect at finish, don't paint yourself into a corner before you start.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Another note, prepare to sing your wifes praise in that tight spot as you do the finish...it'll be ugly.
I'd strongly suggest a small vanity there...at least get some use of that limited space for storage.

ChuckVA

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Another note, prepare to sing your wifes praise in that tight spot as you do the finish...it'll be ugly.
I'd strongly suggest a small vanity there...at least get some use of that limited space for storage.

We had a ton of storage. When she noted she wanted a pedestal vanity...I kept asking her where all of her stuff is going to be stored. The bathroom is insanely small...more of a closet with a commode, shower stall, and sink.

You see, her sister, married 'up' and has a 5800sq house in the tri-state area. I cannot convince her that we simply cannot compete with her sister's husband who is a bank VP for a large banking company. So she continues to come home with pieces like this that out-class the room or space.

Perhaps instead I should hit 'counseling dot com' and see what those forums have to say. LOL!

A million thank you's....I may go for it and have more questions.

You guys are tops,

--C

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks