Will RhinoTools PD55 Drive a saind point well

Users who are viewing this thread

jhartsock

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been searching and found a RhinoTools PD55 (Post Driver) at a local tool rental. I guess this is meant to drive post but would it work for a sandpoint well. Has anyone ever used one.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here is a quote from their website on their drivers:
2. How deep are you going to drive the posts?
The chart assumes you will drive those posts to depths of three to five feet. The deeper you are driving the post the larger the
post driver needed.
(Example: A PD-55 will easily drive a 2" post three feet deep, but if you plan to drive the 2" posts ten to fifteen feet deep, for
soil stabilization, you should probably use a PD-100.)

I would say no; for driving a well point. Besides not being able to go deep, the vibration would probably loosen your joints much easier than a hammer would that would be hitting the pipe less than 50 times per minute as oppossed to 60 times per second.

bob...

jhartsock

Reaction score
I traied making a hammer with my post driver. I basically ued a 6" schedule PVC pipe that was 48 inches long and centered the post drive in the pvc pipe. Then filled around with 80lbs of concrete. This gave me a weight of about 100 pounds. A friend and I began to use this and we did not have much luck. Bascially every 10-20 hits gave us about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of depth. and as I expected when I made this cheap device. The PVC cracked after about 4 hours of pounding. I am down about 19.5' but at this rate I will never get this done. I need suggestions any suggestions? You mentioned that the vibration from the Phenumatic post driver might loosen the pipe threads. but As long as I keep turning the pipe shouldnt they stay tight?

Speedbump

Reaction score
The more you abuse them, the more air leak possibilities you have. Remember the pipe is your suction line on a small well.

This is the hammer I built a year ago to use at my Son-In-Law's in Oklahoma. It weighs around 50 - 55 lbs. You will notice I spent a lot of time engineering this sketch.

bob...

Attachments

• Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,092

atfdmike

Reaction score
hi, I made my own driver to drive up to a 2" well by taking a 36" length of steel hollow heavy wall pipe with 1/2" wall, welding a 6" round plug in the end with an eye bolt at the top, and a solid 1" T-bar that I add weight to for driving purposes. My results were similar for yours in driving through clay but in sand and gravel much better. If you are driving in sand then maybe you could "wash" or "jet" the pipe into the earth? I am not a pro, quite cheap and wanted to spend the least I could in putting down a well to water my lawn. I used a tall A frame I borrowed with block and tackle to hammer it in. Lot of work with minimal results, considering 1 1/4" galvanized pipe with 2' point does not produce much water! I am too tired now to drive another but will eventually (did I mention I procrastinate a lot too?)
I think Speedbump stole my design though!! LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks