Ready to install flange but have question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo

Reaction score
My basement bathroom toilet is almost ready to install. My closet bend is just a 1/8 inch above the cement basement floor. I have a flange that fits on the outside of the closet bend. I put a cardboard sleeve on the closet bend when I did the cement and i can dig it out now and the flange should fit over it.

So I assume I would install my linolium floor first and then install the flange?

My worry is I assume I need to glue the flange to the closet bend (ABS glue) and then use cement screws to tie it to the basement floor through the screw holes in the flange.

BUT......What if in 5 years the flange breaks...how would I replace it without needing to tear up the concrete and replace the bend? Does Anyone just set the flange over the closet bend and screw it to the cement floor and NOT glue it? Like maybe just silcone caulk it so that if you ever needed to remove the flange I could.

I just think a broken flange glued to a concrete embedded closet bend would be a nightmare to fix.

Am I to woried about nothing?

Thanks!!!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flange is supposed to rest on top of the finished floor, so you are on the right track. You do need to "glue" the flange. Your concern about the possibility of having to remove the flange someday is valid, but the solvent welded joint can be dealt with if and when the time comes. It would be easier if you had used a mortar around the closet bend, but breaking out a small amount of concrete is not an impossible task. My preferred method of screwing the flange to concrete is to use lead inserts and stainless steel sheet metal screws. Others like Tapcons which I find to be a bit difficult, but they do work. Do the job right the first time and it is unlikely you will ever have to redo it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks