Love my new Avatar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't really even know what an avatar is, but now I have one! Terry did this for me. I found a logo I wanted on a website; emailed him a link to the page and it was done. I think he could also do it if you have a digital file of a photo, tec.

If anyone is interested in it is: This is the logo of the nuclear fast attack 594-tough submarine USS Barb SSN-596. I was the Chief of the Boat from 1983 to 1986. I could tell you about some incredible things accomplished by the Barb and others like her; but then I would have to shoot you!. There is a book out titled "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sontag and Drew. It is about some highly classified submarine cold war exploits.

If you shaved with a blade today, it may well have been made from the HY-80 hull of the Barb, which is the fate of all submarines in the 500 and 600 series. They are GONE.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
I'm shaving with a boat?

Thanks for explaining how you did your avatar. I would like a set of justice scales on my posts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jimbo and Lonny,Sure, no problem.
If any one wants an avatar (picture) just email the webmaster (me) and I'll put it on for you. :)
I was wondering what the story was on Jimbo's avatar. Now I'm more curious.
Guess I better not be too curious though, I don't want you to have to shoot me.
Terry Love

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to get an old submariner going on sea stories! Seriously, the book I mentioned ( Blind Man's Bluff by Sontag and Drew, available at all the usual places ) is an excellent factual account of some of our cold war exploits. The material which they managed to get "leaked" to them was in the 70's and 80's so highly classified that just the NAME of the classification was secret. The fact that around 2000 they were able to dig this stuff up and publish it was a little disturbing to some, but the events were ancient history by then, and it has been a little cathartic for our families to get some insight into the goings on. At the time, as we left home, wifey would say "where are you going?" "OUT" was the only reply. "When will you be back?" "6 months."

Plumbing related: Our toilets were a stainless steel bowl with conventional seat. At the base of the bowl, instead of a trapway, was a 4" diameter full flow monel ball valve. It had a test pressure rating of about 800 PSI, since it was connected to the drain pipe which led directly to the "poop" tank, which was blown to sea by pressurizing with air.

Some serious piping:

4" ID ballast tank blow: operating pressure 4500 PSI

14" ID seawater pipe for condenser: operating pressure >750 PSI

VERY IMPORTANT PIPE: water supply to the coffee urn: 3/8" copper, operating pressure 20 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks