I may break code

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Under a hand rinse sink (one DFU) I need to install a "close elbow" in order to hide the plumbing from view. The sink is on a slim counter and they don't want to see the pipes under the counter. The plan is to send the waste straight back to the wall, immediately after it drops through the counter.

So there would be a tight turn, not a long sweep.

Luckily, I have room in the cupboard before the wall, to put an air intake so the pipe can grab some air (or let some out) before the P trap. Like an air gap.

This application is like the kits sold for wheelchair access. I notice that the big manufacturers all sell a close elbow kit, for $100, and just to get a single component of the kit costs $100 too!

The little drawing might illustrate well what I am thinking.

Since the sink has an overflow, and the waste line has an air intake, I am thinking that this whole setup will drain well. Is this the best compromise?

What say you?

David

Attachments

• close-elbow-counter.bmp
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,520
Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
"Luckily, I have room in the cupboard before the wall, to put an air intake so the pipe can grab some air (or let some out) before the P trap. Like an air gap."

I dont think you would need that. this seems to be a common theme with H/C sinks. Im sure it will be ok.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking of the drain/overflow assembly on a tub - which has an even tighter elbow from the drain, if you think about it.

I also think you'll be fine.

Then again, I'm not a plumber.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Dave, if that drain is on it's own, without tying into another horizontal drain, then you're fine.
In My state it's ok to use a short sweep on single drains horizontally as long as it's not connecting to anything else at that 90.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

A chrome "bottle trap" would have very little exposure, it the waste outlet is high enough. Otherwise an offset handicap sink drain, with a 1 1/4" x 12" tailpiece tube threaded into the outlet and going through the wall would work, assuming you intend to install the trap behind the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks