dual pressure pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Roundtown

Reaction score
Is it possible to place two pressure pumps on a well and is there any advantage? Our water pressure on the second floor could be stronger and I was given a like new pressure tank that matches the one I currently have. I was thinking that connecting up both might extend pump life and minimize pressure drops. What issues might I face?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Roundtown said:
Is it possible to place two pressure pumps on a well and is there any advantage? Our water pressure on the second floor could be stronger and I was given a like new pressure tank that matches the one I currently have. I was thinking that connecting up both might extend pump life and minimize pressure drops. What issues might I face?

The tanks let you store water so your pump is not running as soon as you turn on water. Having two tanks will let your pump not turn on as often as it is now. When the pump turns on it will run longer. Having a pump short cycle is not a good thing. Kind of like starting a car then turning it off a second later.

When houses are built installers tends to use the bottom of the sizing chart when it comes to pumps and tanks. Adding the second tank may bring you closer to the size that you really need. Was the second floor added after the house was built.

I have seen 5 tanks in a house but it was a very large house.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Two pressure tanks will not raise pressure or solve any type of pressure problem.

It will prevent the well pump from coming on so frequently but... you'll be pumping more water out of the well all at once than with just the one tank.

Your problem is either partial blockage in the line going upstairs or the pressure switch settings for your pump or the pump you have may be undersized or worn out or have a partial block in the jet etc.. Or the level of water in the well is less than it used to be and the pump can't keep up.

Do you have a jet pump, one or two line, or a submersible?

What pressure switch settings are you running it at?

When was the last time you checked the captive air pressure setting in the tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks