drilling sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

jrseaberg

Reaction score
I just purchased a porcelain sink that was made for a single hole faucet mounting.

Is it possible using a diamond core bit to drill two additional holes for a 4" spread faucet (like you can drill a hole in porcelain tile)? Or will the vanity most likely break/shatter?

Jim

p.s..... I am going to ask this question on www.johnbridge.com too. I am a believer in the more opinions I hear, the better the chance of getting the right answer!:p

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Not advisable. While potentially possible, you will have a high likelihood of cracking the sink. Any chance of buying a low priced single hole faucet? They can be had relatively cheaply. If it were mine I would buy the proper sink or the proper faucet, and would not drill new holes. Corian/solid surface is a different story, but you indicated you have porcelain.

How about returning the sink in exchange for a 3-holer? Or returning your faucet in exchange for a singler holer?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Not A Good Idea

you can probably drilll that porceine,..

but in time ....hair line cracks will probably

develope near everywhere you drillled...

you will nootice littel faint brown lines or streaks

brancheing out from "ground zero" at each drill point

you make in the sink...

they will get darker and darker and eventually your wife

will not allow the sink to stay in your home any longer

we had to appease a builder one time and drilled his special
sink.....warning him that it was not a wise move,,
and a few months later we get the blame for the cracks
that appeared in his sink...

Last edited:

jrseaberg

Reaction score
correction!

Thanks for the input everybody!

However, the sink is ceramic, NOT porcelain.

Chassis, sink is what wife wants (size, etc.), but not finding a single hole faucet she likes. Sooo, unless I find "proof" that it won't work.(my hope is that I will have to tell her to buy a new single hole faucet)... trying to keep her happy!;)

Drillable? Yes. (Thanks, David)

Mark, still not a good idea? Cracking?

Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
regardless of how careful you are, you will mess up the glaze. When the things are fired, they can develop stresses from uneven heating/cooling. SOme break during this process, but adding a new hole can be a problem. A tile will sometimes break when you drill it, too. They are relatively flat, and therefore don't have thicker/thinner/curved areas and are more likely to heat/cool evenly. Lot's of luck with the sink. You could get lucky.

Most manufacturers make complementary faucets in various styles, so it is surprising you can't find a single hole one to match the shower/tub. Personally, I prefer that type - much easier to get the exact flow and temp you want and quicker action, too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Porcelain china should drill with a diamond core bit. Even if there is a bit of crazing, which is not likely, the faucet trim will cover it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks